View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 17, 2022, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is actually why I like working college basketball to just about any high school. Maybe the exception of JUCO which is its own culture unto itself. JUCO coaches can be very immature and silly.

But all the other levels, coaches do not have the energy to worry about personal beefs the same way. Not to say that college coaches cannot be petty or silly sometimes, but that does not work well in the long run for them. They have to focus on the job at hand and losing that job can mean bit things are lost to them in the long run. They tend to be more focused and deliberate in what they communicate with you and even their players.

That being said, I have noticed a little edge this year with the coaches and players at the college level. Not nearly as bad, but just a little more stress from my perspective.
Peace
As with anything, this very much depends on the specific league. The JuCo league I work in, the coaches by and large behave themselves (the commissioner does not tolerate nonsense and is vocally supportive of officials handling business), and the ones who don't move on once they get whacked. I would work a JuCo game in that league over a high school game 101 times out of 100.

I do agree with you though. College coaches usually don't take getting whacked personally, and the ones who get whacked every game know they are turds and have no credibility with the assigner.