View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 09, 2021, 12:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Heart Attack In The Hospital Saved My Life ...

Thanks for the update and happy ending crosscountry55.

Four years ago, I had a bout with diverticulitis. After a short hospital stay with intravenous antibiotics to recover, a surgeon decided that I should have an elective colon resection done to prevent another occurrence of the diverticulitis.

In the hospital, on the operating table, as they were cutting holes in my abdomen for the endoscopic surgery, I had a heart attack on the operating table. No prior warning (normal cholesterol, normal blood pressure, normal electrocardiogram, no chest pain, no shortness of breath, active life style).

Stopped the surgery. Sewed up the holes in my abdomen.

Within hours I was given an angiogram. My left anterior descending coronary artery (the widow maker) was 85% blocked. I was given an angioplasty and three drug eluting coronary stent implants.

At first I was pissed off. Pissed off at myself, at my primary care doctor, at God, at everybody. But then I gave it some more thought.

Having a heart attack in the hospital while on the operating table saved my life. Can one think of a better place to have a heart attack? Imagine if I had the heart attack while driving? Or alone at home climbing the stairs?

I’m now on a lipid lowering agent, ace inhibitor, beta blocker, lipid lowering compound, and aspirin (and a blood thinner for first thirty months). I now workout on a treadmill at the gym for forty minutes daily, seven days a week, and see a cardiologist twice a year, with normal echo-cardiograms. Low calorie, low sodium, low cholesterol, no caffeine, no fast food, diet.

Also, I've elected not to have the elective colon resection done. Cut holes in my abdomen and have a heart attack once, shame on you. Cut holes in my abdomen and have a heart attack twice, shame on me.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 09, 2021 at 12:45pm.