View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yeah there is contact, with not one, but two bigger players in her face trying to shoot? Yeah, that contact is going to happen. It was a horrible shot, absolutely horrible. They knew she was going to shoot and met her with their size. We do not expect that kind of contact in Men's games. This to me is a girl's or woman's basketball thing. Players fall we must have something or else. We would not be arguing if Shaq was defending Allen Iverson on a shot like this with his teammate Dennis Rodman right next to Shaq. We would say things I have heard over the years, "pass the ball" or "Do not take on bigger players on that shot." The play by the Baylor player was pure desparation, not a quality or very warranted shot.

Peace
I tend to agree with you. I feel like if you called this in a men’s game, especially at that point in the game, it would be considered a “bail out” foul by a clinician or assigner. It was a horrible play-call and a desperation shot. I have somewhat reconsidered that position given that I have heard from multiple men’s officials who believe it’s a foul (including this thread), but I’m still not convinced I would have called anything.

I also don’t really care what a still picture shows. We don’t get to officiate frame-by-frame and if the contact with the defender’s torso caused the arms to not be vertical, a still frame is not going to tell that story.