View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 07, 2021, 09:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Regarding every grandmother in the stands now having a video camera in their cell phones, the biggest change for me is the rebounding situation where A1 makes some "over the back" contact with B1 with both players touching the ball before it goes out of bounds, off B1's finger first by a split second.

Back before the proliferation of video cameras I could simply call this play off A1 and give Team B the ball for a throwin. Win, win, win situation. I didn't have any tough decisions to make, Team A head coach was happy because his player avoided a foul, and Team B head coach was happy because his team had the ball. Everybody was in on it, we all had an "understanding", we all knew the secret handshake, and everybody was happy. A wink, a nod, and a smile.

Forty years ago, here in my little corner of Connecticut, this technique was actually taught to rookie officials by highly respected veteran officials.

No more. Now I have to decide if the contact created any advantage/disadvantage, and if not, give the throwin to Team A.

By the book, as it probably should have been called forty years ago.

It's not every grandma in tne stands, it's that every school is streaming every game in the COVID era. HD cameras, announcers, the whole package.

I can watch almost all of the 32 games I've worked so far this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro