View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 02, 2020, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
A good point I forgot to include. If he did not believe he missed the call then it's not possible for him to "compound" his mistake, if you buy into that phony line of thinking.

I have had many plays that I thought I got right in real time only to watch the film and realize I was incorrect. Some of those decisions preceded a well-deserved technical foul, but that doesn't mean I "compounded" my mistake that I didn't even know I made at the time.
You're conflating the notion of whether you made a second mistake with whether your mistake was compounded. If you miss a foul call, the mistake is compounded if that player is in foul trouble. That doesn't mean you made a worse mistake.
If the technical that follows is obvious, then that's one thing. If it's borderline and you weren't sure that's another.

(In another sport, I've thrown a coach where I was quite sure I was wrong but couldn't fix it. That definitely compounded my mistake but throwing him wasn't a mistake as he took that choice out of my hands.)