View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 12:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Look That Up In Your Funk & Wagnalls (Dick Martin, 1968) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
POE #2 in the 2001/02 rule book...
Nice detective work Indianaref. I had to actually take out my rule book printed on dead trees, my hard drive only has rule changes and points of emphasis beginning with 2004-05.

I'll save Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. a trip up the stairs to his cold attic library, here's the entire text:

2001-2002 NFHS Points Of Emphasis
2) Disconcertion During Free Throws
Some states have indicated a growing concern with the free throw shooter being disconcerted by a defensive player. Disconcertion may occur through hand and arm movements, and verbal outbursts during the attempt. The committee emphasizes that disconcertion is a violation and may result in a substitute throw. If persistent or deemed unsporting, the team/player may be penalized with a technical foul.

I 100% agree that one can call a violation on the opponent's bench (often in the first half), and this citation may help our cause. However, as the Devil's advocate, this citation, interpreted literally, states that the "team" may be charged with a technical foul, not a violation. And the citation still has the pesky word "player" (not team member) in it, and for some, this may not quite be 100% convincing.

I just need this (below) to form my 100% convincing opinion:

9-12-Penalty: If a violation by the free thrower follows distraction by an
opponent, a substitute free throw shall be awarded.

From my Funk & Wagnalls:

Opponent: A person who is on an opposing side in a game, contest, controversy, or the like; adversary.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 28, 2020 at 02:55pm.