View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 09:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I fail to understand why the rules do not allow the officials do replay any odd situation. At times, strange things happen and, due to their oddity, we are unsure how to react. For any moment like that, why not allow, at the discretion of the officials, to review something. Everybody in the world was confused when the play happened, including the officials. Why not make it something they can review at their discretion? Problem solved.

I always thought something similar should be in the NFL and other sports. Think of its usefulness in last year's Saint's playoff game.

Agree/disagree?
For one, as much as people say they like replay, they really do not like replay to be applied. So if you say they can look at anything, we will have debates about what they can look at all the time. So you have to have some parameters, just like all levels do. You want officials looking at every foul and taking several minutes to figure out if that foul really happened?

This was such an unusual situation and I would suspect most have never seen a situation like this and probably have never seen it like that in any game they have personally officiated.

And people bring up the Saints game, but there were several aspects of that play that were debatable (this is why you cannot rely on the sports media for officiating situations). The ball might have been tipped and even a possibility of the ball not being in the area at the time of contact (which matters BTW), all likely played a role in the original call. And now they do not overturn any PI and people are mad when they don't and when they have overturned the call which is rare under those new NFL rules.

Peace