View Single Post
Old Tue May 01, 2018, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Situation

A player is on their butt with the ball. They are on their right hip and here comes a defender to take the ball. They roll to their left hip lifting their right hip off the ground and pass to their point guard.

Was this attempt to get up... I dont think so.

Did this give them advantage? I think so?

Is their right butt/hip considered a pivot like foot and changing that pivot to the left butt/hip considered changing pivots?

I wish the rule book made this clearer because half the referees I see call nothing and half call a travel.

My friend says roll over means rolling as 180 degree barrel roll. I see this as more advantage partially rolling away from a defender who comes to tie up the ball.

I want the opinions here with any reasoning why that I can use on my partners/coaches to make me a better referee. I see this play happen I want to be more confident inside and out when I make my decision.

Thanks in advance.

The travel rule doesn't contain anything related to "advantage" (and even if it did, it would be to NOT call something that is technically a violation if it DOES NOT gain an advantage. )

Even if this were true, it would only then be illegal to put the right check back on the floor.

The play you describe is legal -- this does not constitute a "roll."