View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 16, 2018, 10:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Work To Change ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I'm not defending what we do if I think what we do is not right.
Work to change what is not right. My local board had two major divisive issues this past year, one involving a lack of transparency. Some members on one side of the lack of transparency issue decided to form a coalition and run for the executive board. Phone calls were made, and text messages were sent. Flyers were distributed before a meeting. There were three openings, and all three were filled by members of this pro-transparency coalition. We've already seen changes. For the first time ever, an agenda for the first meeting of the new executive committee was sent to all members, and we were encouraged to contact executive board members if we had anything to say about any of the agenda items. Plans are being made for next year to add amendments to our constitution to insure that all future decisions made by the executive committee are done with a high degree of transparency.

While I was pretty ambivalent about the two issues, one I was on the fence (members voted by coaches into the state tournament are now forced to select either boys, or girls, no longer can work both, this issue seemed to involve some lack of transparency), the other wasn't a big deal to me (put down a $20.00 deposit if you're planning to attend the end of the year banquet, get the twenty bucks back when you attend)), I am pleased that decisions will now be made with more open communication to let members know what issues and decisions are on the table, so that final decisions are not sprung upon us in a surprising manner. Last year's executive committee didn't do anything wrong, they technically went by the book, but more communication before decisions were made would have been welcomed, and now things will be a little better because a few guys stepped up to the table.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 17, 2018 at 05:38pm.