The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 03, 2014, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

USAV Shorts

I've read and re-read the rule about shorts a few times, but I'm looking for clarification.

Our team will be wearing black spandex shorts with no stripes or color of any kind on them. I have one player who, for religious reasons, cannot wear spandex (or tight) shorts. Is it legal for her to wear shorts of similar length that are not tight or spandex? Do I need to get some sort of waiver for such a thing?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 03, 2014, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I've read and re-read the rule about shorts a few times, but I'm looking for clarification.

Our team will be wearing black spandex shorts with no stripes or color of any kind on them. I have one player who, for religious reasons, cannot wear spandex (or tight) shorts. Is it legal for her to wear shorts of similar length that are not tight or spandex? Do I need to get some sort of waiver for such a thing?
I would check with your region for a waiver. The rule requires that the uniforms be identical, but that's for USAV sanctioned competition (nationals, qualifiers, etc.) If it's just something within the region, the rules tend to be a little more lax, but I would definitely check with your region for guidance.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

You should request a waiver from your region. At one of the qualifiers last year, I reffed a team from the Heart of America Region who had a waiver so one of the players could wear loose-fitting shorts for religious reasons. In general, you should not have problems within your region. However, the head ref at the qualifier wanted to see the waiver before she would allow the player to play. I would think that most tournaments, if not all, will be agreeable as long as you have the proper paperwork.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Unless your state has said specifically not to, I think in most cases like this (i.e. religious uniform issues), if its not a safety issue (or some weird unfair advantage), let them play and report it. A state association is going to be extremely hard pressed to criticize an official for doing that.

Schools need to be proactive in getting approval for these things. I would remind the coach that they need to do the work themselves, which is why I'm filing the report.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Unless your state has said specifically not to, I think in most cases like this (i.e. religious uniform issues), if its not a safety issue (or some weird unfair advantage), let them play and report it. A state association is going to be extremely hard pressed to criticize an official for doing that.

Schools need to be proactive in getting approval for these things. I would remind the coach that they need to do the work themselves, which is why I'm filing the report.
I'm the club owner. Posted it to be proactive.

West Houston Mike