The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 03:56pm
Call it as I see it.

Angry What would you do???

We have an Official locally who wants to officiate everything. He never gets into his rule books and cannot pass a test without someone helping him.
I am guilty of helping him pass his softball test 2 seasons ago. I learned fast that he had no clue and will only help him study if he shows up to Round table meetings that I host.

Volleyball last year he fails first test takes the makeup with help from another official and barely passes.

This year he failed both tests. 4 officials took the makeup test and 2 failed it. The IC is allowing them to take the failed makeup test home and look up the missed questions and cite the rule references and he will give them both credit for a passed test.
This official also just joined another unit in another county who will ask our unit to certify that he has met all criteria. This second unit does not allow makeup tests.

Our unit is not short of officials and have let some go for not doing well enough during the Summer Scrimmages.
I spoke up to our IC last night that this was not acceptable.
I also spoke to our unit President about this.

What would you do in this situation
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on who I was in the situation. If I had any decision making responsibilities in these orgs, I would not let him officiate. Letting him work is doing a disservice to the kids, the coaches, the parents, and the other officials.

If I did not have any decision making control here, I would do as you're doing, continuing to make an issue of it.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

PS - I had 6 13-year old girls take a 1 hour class and then take the volleyball test. They all passed.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Aug 30, 2014, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

there are some weak officials out there.
there are some other factors to consider.
Supply and demand. sometimes there is a greater need than supply and you have to take what you can get. That does not sound like the case.

Then there is the social welfare program.

I am a D1 official and get about a third of the HS matches that a ref that does not know backrow or rotation and makes random ball handling calls.

But it is all good. I don't like working 7 days a week.

And, I would have aced my NCAA rules test, but my down arrow on my laptop changed 3 of my answers. Crap....

We live and die by our assigners (and/or organization certifier). You gave your information and recommendation. move on.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Move on!

If you are not a power player in your association, they will not appreciate you constantly bring up their faulty decisions, no matter how "right" you are.

This cannot help you. You will only be seen as the boat-rocker. The complainer. If you get assigned with this official, be ready to work the contest without much help.

Don't mention it any more. Save yourself!