The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 18, 2014, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

jerseys

Visting team has 1 libero jersey. If they want to change liberos between games...how can they do that legally. On the roster both girls are listed with 2 jersey numbers 10L/11 and 10L/4. Is it legal for the girls to change jerseys and have the same libero #...and the old libero go back to wearing the #11 jersey.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2014, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Not really. Fake an injury?
Old Tue Aug 19, 2014, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsetter View Post
Not really. Fake an injury?
Isn't the roster supposed to have non-duplicate numbers?
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

You could argue the L jersey is not 'duplicated'. It's the only one we have and only one girl per set will be wearing it. lol

You could take the penalty and change the roster.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2014, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsetter View Post
You could argue the L jersey is not 'duplicated'. It's the only one we have and only one girl per set will be wearing it. lol

You could take the penalty and change the roster.
Rosters are not per set though. They are for the match.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2014, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 7.1.1(b)
Any teammate designated as a libero in the match may be listed on the roster with two numbers. The first number represents the uniform number to be worn as a non- libero player; (e.g. 15/L4) .If the libero player's uniform number is the same as his/her non-libero uniform number, it is not necessary to identify the libero number on the roster. The libero number shall not be a duplicate of any other player on the roster.

still doesn't answer if a single libero jersey can be used. Good question.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2014, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

technically no, but like I said. You can change the roster. It would be a penalty. Yes?

5/L22

Change Roster

18/L22

How would you re-designate due to injury if you had only one Libero Jersey?
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Technically this would be illegal in my opinion. Practically, I'm not calling it. Why? The players are never actually wearing duplicate numbers at any point. Since there is only 1 jersey for the libero, the players can not have duplicate jersey numbers at the same time, which is what the rule is designed to prevent.

The bigger issue I've seen with the shared libero jersey (other than another person's sweat on it), is the players not leaving the bench area to change the jersey's. I've had to converse with coaches about this more than once this pre-season already because girls are changing shirts in the gym area, not away from the gym as is required.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Technically this would be illegal in my opinion. Practically, I'm not calling it. Why? The players are never actually wearing duplicate numbers at any point. Since there is only 1 jersey for the libero, the players can not have duplicate jersey numbers at the same time, which is what the rule is designed to prevent.

The bigger issue I've seen with the shared libero jersey (other than another person's sweat on it), is the players not leaving the bench area to change the jersey's. I've had to converse with coaches about this more than once this pre-season already because girls are changing shirts in the gym area, not away from the gym as is required.
So let's say you have to file a report, and you know you have the Libero number 1 at fault for something. How are you going to know which one is wearing that with multiple people on the roster wearing the same number, even at separate times? Not like I'm going to ask the libero, "Now are you Katie or Susie?"
Old Sat Aug 30, 2014, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

You can submit a recommended rule change....they want change it. You can't pass the libero jersey around the bench. Only on a re-designation due to illness or injury - which means the previous libero will have to sit out that set. I have a coach that has 2 libero. He will re-designate in a middle of a set to let the other libero finish the set. He knows and understands the rule and uses it to his benefit.

there is no test that has to be passed for injury or illness. They are legal to play in the next set by rule. You write on the score sheet Player number xx designated L due to injury.

I have never had to write a report.

Last edited by oldsetter; Sun Aug 31, 2014 at 11:00pm.