The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 19, 2014, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Ball Handling

I've been working a decent amount of club this season but I'm still having trouble recognizing doubles and lifts.Does anyone have any advice to help with this problem? My ball handling marks in hs camp were all pretty good but then the 1 match I worked as a HS R1 (a jv match) my partner thought I let my setters get away with murder.
Thanks everyone
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sun Apr 20, 2014, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Are you following the flight of the ball, or are you getting ahead to the setter's hands? If you're following the flight of the ball, I'd urge you to learn to recognize the trajectory and speed of the ball off of each contact to get ahead to where the ball will be. When you get ahead to that next point of contact, your relaxed eyes will make things much easier for you to see.

You probably should also watch a match with experienced officials to see what they call. You might learn how certain violations look. In addition, you might want to videotape a match you work and have someone watch it to show you specifically which balls should have been called (or not). There are good officials camps out there where you can have your matches recorded and clips given to you for educational purposes.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sun Apr 20, 2014, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Madera is spot on again. Watching other officials at all levels will give you a better understanding. Keep in mind there is a very wide range of ball handling when it comes to officials: from all bad passes are illegal to if you can't see it in the cheap seats - play on. The best you can do is try to not be an outlying data point. Read the guidelines for ball handling and remember it is more art than science. Remember 4 out of 10 officials agree on the legality of contacts.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2014, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I find myself having difficulty at times watching the ball handling of the libero setting overhead when they are close to the 3 meter line. I want to see the feet but it distracts my look at the hands and I find myself calling based on the spin, which I don't like to do. I am guessing that i should trust my R-2 more than I have been. Any other techniques to see both parts?
Old Tue Apr 22, 2014, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-game...R2, you watch the feet, I'll watch the hands. Also, use broader vision, don't zoom into the hands looking for a micro-double. that helps me.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2014, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsetter View Post
Pre-game...R2, you watch the feet, I'll watch the hands. Also, use broader vision, don't zoom into the hands looking for a micro-double. that helps me.
I hate hearing that: "you watch the feet, I'll watch the hands". It's too easy to blame the other person for not watching their "responsible" area when something is missed.

Because things with illegal attacks, illegal blocks can happy quickly, both referees are allowed to whistle these attacks if it happens.

You both should be watching everything that's within your area of responsibility.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio.King View Post
I hate hearing that: "you watch the feet, I'll watch the hands". It's too easy to blame the other person for not watching their "responsible" area when something is missed.

Because things with illegal attacks, illegal blocks can happy quickly, both referees are allowed to whistle these attacks if it happens.

You both should be watching everything that's within your area of responsibility.
That's what I thought- maybe I can get off the feet a bit quicker to get to the hands. Tougher for me when the libero is close to the stand.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2014, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco53 View Post
That's what I thought- maybe I can get off the feet a bit quicker to get to the hands. Tougher for me when the libero is close to the stand.
Yes, we try to see both. I don't have a problem unless I am blocked by a player. It is fairly standard to have the r2 'help' on the 3 meter line while the R2 focuses on the ball handling...not precluding the R1 watching the line as well. It is much less likely for the R1 to not see the ball handling. that is the the intent.