The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Pursuit rule?

In club volleyball, there is a pursuit rule (USAV 10.1.2) allowing a player to penetrate the plane of the net into the opponent's free zone in an attempt to bring the ball back (as a 2nd hit) so the 3rd hit can properly be returned into the opponent's court. Is there such a rule in AHSAA? I do not have a copy of the AHSAA rules.

Doug
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 03:38pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
RE: Pursuit Rule

Doug, first of all, welcome to the discussion Forum. I hope you will become a regular participant in our discussions.

In reference to your question, I am guessing that you are talking High School volleyball using NFHS rules. If so, the answer is no, there is no such thing as pursuit in NFHS Rules. Rule 9-3-3a applies:
Quote:
NFHS Volleyball Rule 9 - Section 3 Live And Dead Balls
ART. 3...A live ball becomes dead when:
a. The ball touches the net antennas or does not pass entirely between the net antennas and passes beyond the plane of the center line extension;
BTW, which state are you from - Alabama or Arkansas (both have AHSAA!!!)?

Hope I answered your question.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help. Yes, I was talking about high school (although I currently coach a middle school team in Alabama).
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

MC,
What's this pursuit rule? I'm having trouble seing this in my mind. R
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

10.1.2 states: The ball that has crossed the net plane to the opponent's free zone totally or partly through the external space may be played back within the team hits, provided that:
A minimum of 2 m (6'6 3/4") clearance beyond the court equipment on both sides is required.
10.1.2.1 the opponent's court is not touched by the player;
10.1.2.2 the ball, when played back, crosses the net plane again totally or partly through the external space on the same side of teh court. The opponent team may not prevent such action.

Simplified example:
Suzy in position 1 shanks the 1st touch, causing it to cross the plane of the net well outside the antenna. Karen in position 2 (making sure to stay outside the opponent's court), chases the ball and passes it back to Suzy on their own side of the court (making sure the ball stays outside the antennae). Suzy then uses the 3rd hit to take the ball into the opponent's court by crossing the net between the two antenna.

It is even legal for Karen to pusue the shanked ball by running under the net, as long as she never touches the opponent's court space, including the lines.

That's the rule in club ball.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvtaylor
10.1.2 states:
Simplified example:
Suzy...It is even legal for Karen to pusue the shanked ball by running under the net, as long as she never touches the opponent's court space, including the lines.

That's the rule in club ball.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 10:43pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
rev, it is completely possible to go under the net at the edge of the court near the centerline and not touch the opponent's court or sideline. Stand at the net near either sideline, then step under the net to the out-of-bounds area on the other side of the net. That is what is being described.

The original discussion is based on International and USA Volleyball rules that allow what is called "International Pursuit" or just plain "Pursuit". There has to be at least 2 meters of unobstructed area between the pole on the bench side and the scorer's table and at least 2 meters of unobstructed area behind the referee's stand for pursuit to be a part of the game. If there is not 2 meters clearance on both sides of the court, it is not used.

Hope that clears things up for you.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
The way I saw it done in college (when it was legal to do for the first year after they adopted the pursuit rule) was for a player to do a head first dive outside the lines, then pop up and start running again.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

I guess it could be done, but it would take a lot of coordination and timing. I'm used to Fed rules so have never seen it.

By the way, on a side note, I saw the St. Louis U team shopping in Wal-Mart in Litchfield the other day. I was walking down an aisle when a bunch of 6'+ girls and a few 5'7" or 5'8" girls came walking by. I asked if they were a volleyball team... like there was any other choice... and what school they were from and we talked a minute. It's not every day you see a D1 team buying breakfast food in Wal-Mart. They were all crowded around the srawberry cream cheese so I almost called an IA so I could get in to get it? You talk about an athletic looking group of girls! Just wonder why in the world they were in Litchfield, but wasn't nosey enough to ask?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:52pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
MC,
What's this pursuit rule? I'm having trouble seing this in my mind. R
Awwww, man, I actually know this one!! I could've answered it, but I didn't see the post until just now.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

It's not very common, but under the right circumstances a good athlete can make the play. In the past 3 years I've worked college lines for 8-10 matches a year and only seen a pursuit situation attempt happen 3 times - only once was it successful.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:09am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Tim, as long as you remember that what you see as pursuit in college matches is NOT the same way that it can be done in USAV. In NCAA matches, the players cannot go under the net outside the court to pursue the ball, they have to go around the pole on the table side of the court and around the ref stand on the R1 side. They can come back underneath the net, they just cannot chase the ball from their court via that route.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Jan,

I don't do USAV, so I'm only familiar with the NCAA pursuit rules as you described (player going outside the stand/pole). Seems to me that letting them pursue by going under the net outside the court could set up the potential for some spectacular collisions.......
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 01:12pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Well, that's the difference between College and International.

One of NCAA's points of emphasis is that player safety is paramount.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Awwww, man, I actually know this one!! I could've answered it, but I didn't see the post until just now.
Oooo Oooo Oooo, Mr. Kot-ter!