The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I nearly died!

Was talking with a fan about soccer and volleyball the other day. In all seriousness she said, "You know, I liked volleyball a whole lot better when they played side out instead of that point on every serve and they didn't have that player with the other color uniform." I nearly died!
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Ok, as a newbie, I don't get why this almost brought about your demise. I never heard of a libero before I started reffing and isn't "rally" scoring relatively new? So wasn't this person just saying that she prefered volleyball the "old" way? Is the new way just much much better, in your view?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Much! Much! Much! Much ... Especially Rally Scoring. Games are faster and more fun. Some small schools I officiate still don't use the Libero and because girl's VB and boy's soccer seasons coincide I don't do a whole lot of Varsity VB games each year. The Libero does add a certain dimension of excitement by the excellent defense and hustle, but when you're first getting adjusted it can get confusing if you haven't done club ball.

Last edited by refnrev; Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 09:22pm.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:04am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Scrapper, as Rev indicated, hearing that from a fan IS funny! As an official, I am SOOOOO glad that we no longer have side-out scoring. When we played via that rule, if neither team had a decent server, we would be playing all night with few points due to net serves! With rally scoring and the "let" serve being allowed, every time there is a rally, at least the scoreboard moves so it feels like we are making progress toward an end.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear
Scrapper, as Rev indicated, hearing that from a fan IS funny! As an official, I am SOOOOO glad that we no longer have side-out scoring. When we played via that rule, if neither team had a decent server, we would be playing all night with few points due to net serves! With rally scoring and the "let" serve being allowed, every time there is a rally, at least the scoreboard moves so it feels like we are making progress toward an end.
Amen!
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Ahhh. SOS...I still like that better...

Whereas it does take a lot out of the ref core and may put some fans to sleep. It is a testament of player athleticism and ball control over the endurance of the match.

The rotation design of volleyball positions brings out an element that differs from other sports in that players strengths and weaknesses are brought out, especially that crucial skill of passing/digging. That which the libero has changed that one aspect of the game and changed the strategem of the sport with the player replacement instead of taking a substitution.

RPS takes the best server and caps their opportunity. If you play to 25 points, unless the best server begins the match, basically they'll have at the max of 5 chances, if there were to be an overturn in each point. While with the old SOS, there still wouldn't be any score.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 01:58pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
So can I ask a question?

OmniSpiker, are you a coach or a player because no ref in their right mind prefers side-out scoring over rally?!? Sure, it might be a great game using side-out scoring, but how long are you going to enjoy it when it takes forever to play one game because no one is winning rallies when they are serving?
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)

Last edited by MCBear; Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 01:26am.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

That's why the people I respect the most are those ref people who are so diligent at their job. Reffing (all of them) is wayyy tougher than coaching or playing. I totally thank any ref who allows my players to play their game against the other team and not have to worry about the ref's calls. Even line judges who kneels down so that the can actually see a ball touching the line or not get's my utmost respect. The line judges who just stand there without moving a muscle...I wish I could fire them on the spot... oh well.

If no one is scoring, I'll fall asleep. Regardless if I'm reffing, a fan, a benched player, even happend while I was playing, well just that I zoned out...Happens even when no one (JOV's) is serving the ball over the net with rally scoring...(somebody please relieve me, I can't ref that!!!).

Up ref having to stand, feet nearly motionless for like two games back to back lasting two hours is pretty hard on the feet, knees, and hips. Can a person get a rest break...please.

If that were SOS, one game that's 3 plus hour for 2/3...I never want to get to ref that tie breaker match...

Last edited by OmniSpiker; Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 03:12pm.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSpiker
That's why the people I respect the most are those ref people who are so diligent at their job. Reffing (all of them) is wayyy tougher than coaching or playing. I totally thank any ref who allows my players to play their game against the other team and not have to worry about the ref's calls. Even line judges who kneels down so that the can actually see a ball touching the line or not get's my utmost respect. The line judges who just stand there without moving a muscle...I wish I could fire them on the spot... oh well.

If no one is scoring, I'll fall asleep. Regardless if I'm reffing, a fan, a benched player, even happend while I was playing, well just that I zoned out...Happens even when no one (JOV's) is serving the ball over the net with rally scoring...(somebody please relieve me, I can't ref that!!!).

Up ref having to stand, feet nearly motionless for like two games back to back lasting two hours is pretty hard on the feet, knees, and hips. Can a person get a rest break...please.

If that were SOS, one game that's 3 plus hour for 2/3...I never want to get to ref that tie breaker match...

Could someone translate this statement for me?
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

Sure: troll.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
which statement???
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear
With rally scoring and the "let" serve being allowed, every time there is a rally, at least the scoreboard moves so it feels like we are making progress toward an end.
Off topic....but:

Since they now allow the let serve, don't you think its time to bring back the legality of blocking the serve? In my opinion it seems the let serve gives the server a slight advantage, and the ability to block that serve would be a way to nuetralize that advantage. What do you think?
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Off topic....but:

Since they now allow the let serve, don't you think its time to bring back the legality of blocking the serve? In my opinion it seems the let serve gives the server a slight advantage, and the ability to block that serve would be a way to nuetralize that advantage. What do you think?
I think that would be a really bad idea.

The ability to block a serve FAR outweighs any small advantage a let serve might provide.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 07:58pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
I agree with Felix that allowing the serve to be blocked would be a really bad idea. The main reason I don't want it changed is that neither FIVB/USAV nor NCAA are going to allow it to happen. We are striving toward more uniformity among the various rules sets, not creating more differences.