The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Showcase Ejections

Was at the Disney Showcase this weekend and there were two situations that I put out here for discussions. One was mine, the other someone else.

Mine:
R1 INT w/ F6, my call. 3BC challenges but to no avail; no problem. Gets another R1 to 2B in same inning and says something to her like, "You obviously need to avoid contact" (slightly sarcastic, but still no problem). Then as I get set for the next pitch I hear "What are you looking at???!! Just play Ball" to either F5 or F6, I'm not sure, but I sure as hell didn't like it.
Is that worthy of ejection? Mind you, this guy was a big ol' boy. Probably a former defensive lineman.

I did not eject, I called TIME and walked over to him and said, "Don't ever speak to a player like that again. Ever!" and walked back.

I hate think what would have happened if the player said, "I'm looking at YOU *******."

Other:
OC doesn't like the way her player ran bases, so did the old grab the player by the face mask and shake well before serving. Ump warns coach. Coach says, "I don't tell you how to do your job, don't tell me how to do mine."
She got tossed.
Warranted?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Coach speaking to an opposing player in the manner you described gets a warning, at minimum, ejection at maximum depending on what was said, prior conduct in the game, general tenor of the game, etc.....

In your second situation, I don't feel that it is my position as an umpire to get involved in that interaction between a coach and his player. You indicated that this was a showcase, so I'm assuming older teenage players that have been in travel ball for awhile. I certainly don't like or condone his conduct, but at that level it's up to the player and/or her parents to stand up to that.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I would have included the word "opposing" before player, but you were right to stop it in it's tracks. Ejection wouldn't have been completely unwarranted if you chose to go there.

2nd sitch, I have no issue with this ejection. I probably wouldn't have said anything about the coaches behavior with his player, but had I done so and he reacted that way, I can definitely see tossing him.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Was at the Disney Showcase this weekend and there were two situations that I put out here for discussions. One was mine, the other someone else.

Mine:
R1 INT w/ F6, my call. 3BC challenges but to no avail; no problem. Gets another R1 to 2B in same inning and says something to her like, "You obviously need to avoid contact" (slightly sarcastic, but still no problem). Then as I get set for the next pitch I hear "What are you looking at???!! Just play Ball" to either F5 or F6, I'm not sure, but I sure as hell didn't like it.
Is that worthy of ejection? Mind you, this guy was a big ol' boy. Probably a former defensive lineman.

I did not eject, I called TIME and walked over to him and said, "Don't ever speak to a player like that again. Ever!" and walked back.

I hate think what would have happened if the player said, "I'm looking at YOU *******."

Other:
OC doesn't like the way her player ran bases, so did the old grab the player by the face mask and shake well before serving. Ump warns coach. Coach says, "I don't tell you how to do your job, don't tell me how to do mine."
She got tossed.
Warranted?
Neither is an ejection. You did right in case 1, but be sure to say " another team's player".

I understand the other umpire's concern for player safety and no violence on the field; but say that only.

Agree with Andy's comments.

----------------------------------------------
"this guy was a big ol' boy. Probably a former defensive lineman"
Come on!
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 12:42pm
Stirrer of the Pot

You guys have these kinds of issues at showcases? Wow.

I probably wouldn't have called Time and walk over to the 3BC. A stern, "Knock it off, Coach," from C would have sufficed for me.

I agree with others that I don't get involved with coaches dealing with their own players unless it goes WAAAY over the top (and doing the face mask shake is not what I would consider over the top). As a parent, I might've had a problem with it and dealt with the coach after the game.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you weren't sure, you shouldn't have taken any action.

Quote:
She got tossed.
Warranted?
Depends? I would have to see it, but I tend to agree with the coach's statement.

Now, bringing it to the attention of a TD would be another issue
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
And at the Magic Kingdom to boot!
Tinkerbell was nowhere to be found.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Depends? I would have to see it, but I tend to agree with the coach's statement.

Now, bringing it to the attention of a TD would be another issue
Agree on all three points.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I thought he wasn't sure of F5 or F6.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post

I probably wouldn't have called Time and walk over to the 3BC. A stern, "Knock it off, Coach," from C would have sufficed for me.
I would not say that aloud, or shout at a coach from a distance anyway.
If at a distance, just "coach! ... " in an advisory tone.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 01:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I would not say that aloud, or shout at a coach from a distance anyway.
If at a distance, just "coach! ... " in an advisory tone.
I wouldn't have shouted it. Under the scenario, I would have been at C, probably 40-50 feet away from the coach. Nothing wrong with saying, "Knock it off, Coach," just loud enough for him to hear, IMO.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

At that moment in time, right or wrong, I decided it was better if nobody knew what I was saying, except me and the specific party.

But I do appreciate all of the feedback.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2014, 07:43am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
At that moment in time, right or wrong, I decided it was better if nobody knew what I was saying, except me and the specific party.
To each his/her own, I suppose. I prefer not to attract so much attention, which is what I feel happens when an umpire calls Time, walks over to the miscreant, says something, then turns around and walks back to position. Plate umpires can get away with the "show" by pulling out the line-up card, giving the impression he/she is clarifying the batting order with the coach. But a base umpire can't do the same.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Snip)

Other:
She got tossed.
Warranted?
What brand of Beer did he have to
buy for Dave?
:-)

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Wed Nov 05, 2014 at 12:15pm. Reason: smiley face added
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Beer might not be enough. It was one of the host teams