The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Players and coaches should know the situation. Umpire has egg on his face and must suck it up.
Agree, better not to verbalize unless batter runs to first when she isn't supposed to.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
THE PLATE UMPIRE THOUGHT The batter was not entitled because of the runner at 1st.
Are you saying not to verbalize when that is the case? IOW, let the players figure it out for themselves?
I'm commenting on the mechanic, not the play, in saying the word "OUT" should not come out of the umpire's mouth unless there is a situation where the retired batter is heading toward 1st on a U3K when not entitled.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Not to drive this into the ground...
The only time I've ever heard "Strike 3 batters out" has been on television show/commercial/movie umpires.

Is it possible that the order of events was:
U3K, batter runs, PU says, "batter out", F2 rolls ball? Then we have the PU giving bad game situation info, putting defense in jeopardy. And we can better debate whether it can be rectified.

If the order of events in the OP is precise, then yes, bad mechanics, you shouldn't say that, AND bad game situation info.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
I already did.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
U3K, batter runs, PU says, "batter out", F2 rolls ball? Then we have the PU giving bad game situation info, putting defense in jeopardy. And we can better debate whether it can be rectified.
OK, I will work on my presentation skills. That is what I though I described in the OP, although I now realize I should have included "batter runs" before "Plate umpire, not thinking 2 outs, says "batter out"".
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only time I've ever heard "Strike 3 batters out" has been on television show/commercial/movie umpires.

If the order of events in the OP is precise, then yes, bad mechanics, you shouldn't say that, AND bad game situation info.
Unfortunately, the rule (and the direction given in clinics) doesn't say anything about "giving bad game situation info". The rule about rectifying situations where we have put a team in jeopardy has to do only with incorrect rule applications or changed calls.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Unfortunately, the rule (and the direction given in clinics) doesn't say anything about "giving bad game situation info". The rule about rectifying situations where we have put a team in jeopardy has to do only with incorrect rule applications or changed calls.
But at some point you have to change the call. He called the batter out by mistake. If he never fixes it the batter is out and the inning is over.

But what you said a little further might be objectionable if I took it like this. Suppose the sequence was.
"Strike three."
Batter starts to run.
"Batters out."
Catcher tosses ball toward circle.
"#@%@, two outs, batter is NOT OUT"
Pitcher runs for the ball, barehands it toward first base and runner is safe on a bang bang play.

versus

"Strike three."
Batter starts to run.
"Batters out."
Catcher tosses ball toward circle.
Pitcher knowing the umpire was wrong runs for the ball, barehands it toward first base and runner is safe on a bang bang play.
Then umpire says, dang, runner was not out.

Whatever the right way to think about those two scenarios, the idea that the first is more clearly in favor of the defense seems absurd to me.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Doesn't this have the potential for a changed call? Isn't that one of the main points of this thread?
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Doesn't this have the potential for a changed call? Isn't that one of the main points of this thread?
yes
Old Fri Oct 31, 2014, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or delayed calls
Old Sat Nov 01, 2014, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I think this is the consensus.
Definite mistake by PU to call an out when BR is eligible to run.
Players (e.g., catcher) are responsible to know the rule and make the play anyway.
No need to apply the jeopardy rule, even if ITUJ the defense would have gotten the out with a throw to 1st.
BR remains safe at 1st.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2014, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Players (e.g., catcher) are responsible to know the rule and make the play anyway.
No need to apply the jeopardy rule, even if ITUJ the defense would have gotten the out with a throw to 1st.
BR remains safe at 1st.
That's my ruling.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 08:10am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
BR remains safe at 1st.
Agree.

Another point for consideration: Unless you're regularly working 12U rec ball, you will see that the overwhelming majority of catchers worth their salt will know to immediately come up with the throw after failing to catch the third strike with two outs. They won't be affected by a plate umpire erroneously calling the batter out. If one does, shame on her.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker