The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
HBP strike

FP -ASA, NFHS, USSSA - please id answer for any or all

Basic info: Pitch passes through the strike zone and hits the batter, not in the strike zone. Batter never was in the zone.

Is it a HBP or dead ball strike?
Does it matter if the batter is completely in the batter box?

More questions later.

Last edited by CecilOne; Tue Sep 30, 2014 at 05:24am.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

Basic info: Pitch crosses the plate and hits the batter, not in the strike zone. Batter never was in the zone.

More questions later.
So a batter lifted up their arm above their armpit and was hit by the ball that was over the plate, but not in the zone?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So a batter lifted up their arm above their armpit and was hit by the ball that was over the plate, but not in the zone?
see OP edit in bold
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Matrix
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Basic info: Pitch passes through the strike zone and hits the batter, not in the strike zone. Batter never was in the zone.

More questions later.
ASA
Strike - 7.4.A
The HBP is ignored based upon 8.1.F
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

This is a Softball 101 question and I know you know the answer. A ball that strikes the batter is a dead ball. If the pitch was a strike (for ANY reason), it's a dead ball strike. If not, and other criteria that I also know you're aware of are met, it's a HBP.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
ASA
Strike - 7.4.A
The HBP is ignored based upon 8.1.F
I agree with your interpretation after reading the rule.

Since the HBP is ignored, does this mean the ball is still live?
What if this was strike 3? Do we have an uncaught strike three?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
This is a Softball 101 question and I know you know the answer. A ball that strikes the batter is a dead ball. If the pitch was a strike (for ANY reason), it's a dead ball strike. If not, and other criteria that I also know you're aware of are met, it's a HBP.
Yes, I know, but having heard a recent conversation that some questioned it, I thought it might be good discussion.

Would you expect a problem explaining it to the OC?

Especially if the strike not announced before the batter is hit?

P.S. -- As part of teaching new umpires, always looking for better and easier ways to present things.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I know, but having heard a recent conversation that some questioned it, I thought it might be good discussion.

Would you expect a problem explaining it to the OC?

Especially if the strike not announced before the batter is hit?

P.S. -- As part of teaching new umpires, always looking for better and easier ways to present things.
I differ in teaching this, as I do NOT say the HBP is ignored. The batter WAS hit by a pitch, and it IS a dead ball.

The difference is that there are three possible outcomes from HBP; HBP does not automatically result in an awarded base as is assumed by most.

1) HBP ruled a strike; dead ball, add strike to count, if #3, batter is out.

2) HBP ruled a ball and (depending on ruleset) batter failed to attempt to avoid, and/or ball not completely in batter's box; dead ball, add ball to count, if #4, batter awarded a walk.

3) HBP ruled a ball and (depending on ruleset) ball completely in batter's box and batter made any required effort to attempt to avoid; dead ball, batter awarded first base.

So, in my version of teaching, the HBP isn't ignored at all, it has multiple possible results.

And, to the other question, it doesn't matter what or when you announce the result, you will get feedback on anything in category #1 and #2. It's your job to explain the rule, the result, and move on.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I differ in teaching this, as I do NOT say the HBP is ignored. The batter WAS hit by a pitch, and it IS a dead ball.

The difference is that there are three possible outcomes from HBP; HBP does not automatically result in an awarded base as is assumed by most.

2) HBP ruled a ball and (depending on ruleset) batter failed to attempt to avoid, and/or ball not completely in batter's box; dead ball, add ball to count, if #4, batter awarded a walk.

3) HBP ruled a ball and (depending on ruleset) ball completely in batter's box and batter made any required effort to attempt to avoid; dead ball, batter awarded first base.

So, in my version of teaching, the HBP isn't ignored at all, it has multiple possible results.

And, to the other question, it doesn't matter what or when you announce the result, you will get feedback on anything in category #1 and #2. It's your job to explain the rule, the result, and move on.
Thanks for the detail.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

Of course, Steve is correct. I was using HBP more as a generic term usually relating to an award of the base. And it is a matter of fact that any pitch which contacts any part of the person or uniform of a batter is a dead ball without exception.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 10:50pm
Call it as I see it.

2 years ago in the 16 Champions Cup the Championship game ended on a checked swing HBP. Plate umpire call's Dead Ball Strike - Ball Game.
It was a 3 man crew The PU and Myself headed straight for the exit 3U stayed and was trying to throw the PU under the bus. 3U got chewed out by the UIC for this.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
2 years ago in the 16 Champions Cup the Championship game ended on a checked swing HBP. Plate umpire call's Dead Ball Strike - Ball Game.
It was a 3 man crew The PU and Myself headed straight for the exit 3U stayed and was trying to throw the PU under the bus. 3U got chewed out by the UIC for this.
Specifics please for "3U stayed and was trying to throw the PU under the bus"
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 10:25am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Specifics please for "3U stayed and was trying to throw the PU under the bus"
3U was saying to the coach that he did not think that the batter swung and that the batter should have been awarded first base. If the plate umpire had asked for help it would have been my call and she definitely offered at the pitch. When 3U finally got off the field he was trying to get me to agree with him that PU got it wrong.

The interesting thing about all of this is that both the of my partners where reprimanded for fraternizing with a coach in the Umpire parking area the day before and everyone was told that both of them where being sent home because of this. I was very surprised to see them on Sunday and really surprised that they had the Championship game.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

I've read this entire subject/post and still can't picture the scenario of ball passing thru strike zone and hitting a batter out of the strike zone. What am I missing?

How does the ball get out of the zone and "hit" the batter? Gawd, I must be getting old.

Is the batter on the edge of the plate with their body but still outside the zone (crowding)? If this is the case "any" movement would seem to put the batter "in" the zone or "further away" from the zone based on what they do.....swinging, bunting, trying to get out of the way, whatever.

Splain please.......give me the scenario where this happened.