The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Rich Ives on the Baseball Forum addressed this...

3) The Ball was touching in Foul Territory when B/R-1 made contact with F3. who was attempting to make a play on the Ball.

4) B/R-1 has committed Interference with F3. The Ball becomes Dead immediately. B/R/-1 is out because of committing Interference. All runners return to the bases they occupied at the time of the B/R-1's Interference.

5) B/R-1 can be ejected for Malicious Contact and/or Unsportsmanlike Conduct in some rules sets.

MTD, Sr.
All due respect, how is this different from the case that I posted in my recent thread "Sharing things that I've learned here…", in which I was told that it is an immediate foul ball as soon as the interference happens, thereby no out.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

A batted ball has no given status until an event involving the ball as listed in the definitions of Fair or Foul occurs.

8.2.F.1 clearly notes the BR is out if interfering with a defender attempting to field a batted ball.

A batted ball is any pitched ball which contacts the bat and "lands" in either fair or foul territory. Please note that it states where the ball lands, not that is applies a status to the ball in doing so.

Yes, this is a different requirement for INT than that applied to a runner, but it is what it is and I suspect it is maintained as such to address the scenario prevented in the OP
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 12:23pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Speaking ASA

A batted ball has no given status until an event involving the ball as listed in the definitions of Fair or Foul occurs.

8.2.F.1 clearly notes the BR is out if interfering with a defender attempting to field a batted ball.

A batted ball is any pitched ball which contacts the bat and "lands" in either fair or foul territory. Please note that it states where the ball lands, not that is applies a status to the ball in doing so.

Yes, this is a different requirement for INT than that applied to a runner, but it is what it is and I suspect it is maintained as such to address the scenario prevented in the OP
So if the OP had said it was R1 at third who pushed F1 out of the way while the ball was in foul territory while R1 was going home, and the ball ended up hitting the third base bag, this would be covered under 8-7-J, and R1 would not be guilty of INT? Why the inconsistency on practically exact plays?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 12:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Speaking ASA

Irish:

Thanks. I will put my check in the mail Monday morning, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
So if the OP had said it was R1 at third who pushed F1 out of the way while the ball was in foul territory while R1 was going home, and the ball ended up hitting the third base bag, this would be covered under 8-7-J, and R1 would not be guilty of INT? Why the inconsistency on practically exact plays?
If I knew that, I would probably have stated it long ago. I've had many sensible proposed changes (all which have been discussed on this or a preceding board) that have been rejected.

It took me two years to get the D3K rule corrected. The actions and arguments you see at some of these committee meetings do not make sense and it is unbelievable how some things are so engrained in peoples' minds that they cannot see the obvious even if you read it to them from the rule book.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2014, 07:37am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Oops. NCAA 11.5 - Foul Ball
A legally batted ball that:
11.5.7 Is in foul territory when a base runner in foul territory interferes with a defensive player's attempt to field a batted ball.

OK... just need NFHS now.
It's in there Mike. See 2-25-1e. Practically word-for-word with what's written in NCAA and ASA.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker