The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

"no new inning after xx"

Worked an ASA tournament this weekend where we had time limits of 90 minutes. That meant no new inning would start after 90 minutes.

Again, the question of when a new inning starts came up. I've always thought it was immediately following the third out of the home team's at bat. Similarly, I've used the third out of a half-inning as the starting point for the pitcher's 1 minute of warm up activity. I don't time it with a watch, but if the catcher or pitcher is dallying, I may not allow warm ups or tell them to take one and throw it down.

Through hearsay, one of our visiting umpires from New Brunswick asked about the point at which a new inning begins. He claims he was told it was as soon as the pitcher takes her position on the PP. This sounds wrong to me, so I tried looking it up in the umpires' manual. I couldn't find anything specific as to when a new inning starts.

Is there such a reference that I missed, or is there nothing in the book?

Thanx.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

ASA rule 1, Inning.

A new inning begins immediately after the final out of the previous inning.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

^ Yep, what he said. ^

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Well, in retrospect, it was probably in the most conspicuous spot in the book.

I was looking in the sections about the game, pitching and the number of pitches allowed. Everywhere except in the definitions.

Thanx guys.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

One thing I have learned about the rules...go to the definitions first.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
ASA rule 1, Inning.

A new inning begins immediately after the final out of the previous inning.
This reminds me of a discussion I heard about at a clinic (I was not umpiring at that time).

There was a big discussion about a batted ball that hits a batter who is still in the box.

Everyone agreed the call is a foul ball. The argument was over where in the rules it said this, because they must all be wrong if they call it since it isn't in the book.

Finally, an out of state umpire who was attending chimed in. "Read the definition of a foul ball." Sure enough Rule 1 Foul Ball F (using the 2014 book) pretty much covers it.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Worked an ASA tournament this weekend where we had time limits of 90 minutes. That meant no new inning would start after 90 minutes.

Again, the question of when a new inning starts came up. I've always thought it was immediately following the third out of the home team's at bat. Similarly, I've used the third out of a half-inning as the starting point for the pitcher's 1 minute of warm up activity. I don't time it with a watch, but if the catcher or pitcher is dallying, I may not allow warm ups or tell them to take one and throw it down.

Through hearsay, one of our visiting umpires from New Brunswick asked about the point at which a new inning begins. He claims he was told it was as soon as the pitcher takes her position on the PP. This sounds wrong to me, so I tried looking it up in the umpires' manual. I couldn't find anything specific as to when a new inning starts.

Is there such a reference that I missed, or is there nothing in the book?

Thanx.
I had a similar time limit issue last night. Rec League game, 2 hour time limit (Girls 5th grade). We were supposed to start at 6:30, but started at 6:33 instead. As time is clicking down we get to the bottom of the 5th inning. Strike 3, batter's out. just over 30 seconds left on the clock.

"Hey Blue, are we playing the 6th inning?"

I easily could have said no but since we started late and I do keep a countdown timer, I had to be honest and say yes we are playing the 6th. 20minutes later we were exactly where we started the 6th inning, the home team winning by 1.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 02:09pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I had a similar time limit issue last night. Rec League game, 2 hour time limit (Girls 5th grade). We were supposed to start at 6:30, but started at 6:33 instead. As time is clicking down we get to the bottom of the 5th inning. Strike 3, batter's out. just over 30 seconds left on the clock.

"Hey Blue, are we playing the 6th inning?"

I easily could have said no but since we started late and I do keep a countdown timer, I had to be honest and say yes we are playing the 6th. 20minutes later we were exactly where we started the 6th inning, the home team winning by 1.
Most timed games I work, if we start a little early (say, 5:56 for a 6:00 game), the "official" start time is the scheduled time. But if we start late, the actual start time becomes the "official" time. So in your game, the NNI time would have been 8:33, not 8:30, at least over here.

I must admit, I hate two-hour time limits for NNI. I much prefer something tolerable like NNI at 1:20, drop dead at 1:30. Two-plus hours of softball is excessive, especially at the 12U rec level, where I typically see those long limits.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Most timed games I work, if we start a little early (say, 5:56 for a 6:00 game), the "official" start time is the scheduled time. But if we start late, the actual start time becomes the "official" time. So in your game, the NNI time would have been 8:33, not 8:30, at least over here.

I must admit, I hate two-hour time limits for NNI. I much prefer something tolerable like NNI at 1:20, drop dead at 1:30. Two-plus hours of softball is excessive, especially at the 12U rec level, where I typically see those long limits.
At least we have one nice rule where I umpire. All grades through 4th grade for girls (3rd for boys) are coach pitch games.

For the fifth grade girls (and I think, but I'm not sure 4th grade boys), when the bases become loaded it reverts to coach pitch rules.

This keeps the games moving a little better than if we waited for 7 runs on bases on balls to score (we have a 7 run per inning rule) which would have happened last night.

Personally I think 2 hours is too long, and it shows on the players when 8:25 rolls around, they are about done at that point physically and mentally.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As much as I did not want to do it, (I had something else I should have gotten done by 9), I was honest and we played the inning. I just wish the batter had not swung on that last pitch. The way the catcher was throwing the ball back to the pitch, those last 30 seconds may have run off the clock before another pitch was thrown.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Excessive??? I would call it outrageous.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

ASA needs to get their head out of the ass and eliminate the strategic bullshit that the coaches have brought to the game. They need to change any rule involving a time limit to time limit plus one inning. Yes, you change the time to 1:15-1:20, finish that inning plus one.

This is not new, it has been proposed before and it is time for it to be effected.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
ASA needs to get their head out of the ass and eliminate the strategic bullshit that the coaches have brought to the game. They need to change any rule involving a time limit to time limit plus one inning. Yes, you change the time to 1:15-1:20, finish that inning plus one.

This is not new, it has been proposed before and it is time for it to be effected.
Shhhhhhhhhh in some places it is being done that way ........
Old Thu Jul 24, 2014, 09:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Baseball has time limits, too, and some of the same BS around "working the clock."

Personally, I like tournaments where the umpire's watch is the clock.

It should simply be the umpire's discretion in situations where a team tries to make fast outs to play another inning or delay the game to make the clock run out. Just like soccer and stoppage time, which is at the discretion of the referee.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2014, 11:49am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

"One New Inning After" time limits are the way to go. It does eliminate most of the shenanigans.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker