The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

2015 NFHS Rule Changes

NFHS released 2015 rule changes for Softball and Baseball.

Here is the link: NFHS | Rules Changes Approved in High School Baseball, Softball

Here are the two paragraphs relative to softball:

Quote:
In softball, two rules changes were recommended by the NFHS Softball Rules Committee at its June 16-18 meeting in Indianapolis and subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

Rules 1-6-1 and 1-7-1 were revised to state that the batting helmet and the catcher’s helmet shall have a non-glare surface (not mirror-like).

Theresia Wynns, NFHS director of sports and officials education and liaison to the Softball Rules Committee, said the committee instituted these changes because helmets that are mirror-like in nature are distracting and could be dangerous for other players.
Has anybody ever seen a batters and/or catcher's helmet with a "mirror-like" surface?
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Early this season, 1st game of the day (maybe an 8AM game) morning sun low in the sky right behind me over my shoulder, was reflecting off the back of F2's goalie-style mask, to the point that I had to hold up F1 a couple times for the "flashbulb effect" to fade from my eyes... never happened before or since...
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Here is the link: NFHS | Rules Changes Approved in High School Baseball, Softball

Has anybody ever seen a batters and/or catcher's helmet with a "mirror-like" surface?
If by "mirror-like" they mean "reflective", yes, I've seen it.

I would hope they would explain what they mean by "non-glare" and "mirror-like". There are a lot of choices between a matt finish and a mirror. Does this make any glossy paint illegal? Does this make semi-gloss illegal?
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

This is a poorly written article; it jumps between baseball and softball rules.

I wonder why these two separate sports are paired together. Does NFHS also pair soccer and field hockey (they are both played on a big field with a ball and goal). Even if there isn't enough rule changes for separate press releases, at least list all the baseball and then the softball changes.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

This one sure is mirror like, only saw a couple of them this year.

Enhanced View
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ugh...should have known it would be Under Armour. There's a reason I've had a personal boycott of their products for the last decade.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

On the plus, isn't everyone happy they found less changes and tweaks necessary than prior years?
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
If by "mirror-like" they mean "reflective", yes, I've seen it.

I would hope they would explain what they mean by "non-glare" and "mirror-like". There are a lot of choices between a matt finish and a mirror. Does this make any glossy paint illegal? Does this make semi-gloss illegal?
I think that is the problem. Do you have a HS coach in your area who thinks every game relies on their strategy and game intelligence?

How long do you think it will take "super coach" to start arguing that the reflection off the non-mirrorlike helmet is distracting to his players when s/he needs an excuse?
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I think that is the problem. Do you have a HS coach in your area who thinks every game relies on their strategy and game intelligence?

How long do you think it will take "super coach" to start arguing that the reflection off the non-mirrorlike helmet is distracting to his players when s/he needs an excuse?
I wondering which I'll run into first, that coach or one of the OOOs that will reject a new helmet whose paint is "too shiny"

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Thu Jul 10, 2014 at 02:33pm.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I wondering which ill run into first, that coach or one of the OOOs that will reject a new helmet whose paint is "too shiny"
Good point, shouldn't exclude the umpires from the mix
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 01:13pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Any insight on what was considered but voted down? I thought there was talk of making the pitchers stay in contact with the pitcher's plate with both feet a la ASA.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Any insight on what was considered but voted down? I thought there was talk of making the pitchers stay in contact with the pitcher's plate with both feet a la ASA.
FYI - That rule went into effect for Florida last year.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
FYI - That rule went into effect for Florida last year.
As part of a trial? As was done before increasing the pitching distance?
Old Tue Jul 15, 2014, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I thought that MAYBE they would get away from us checking equipment and put the onus on the coaches.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2014, 11:43am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Andy:

The answer to your question is yes, three times to be exact.

1) Midway through the H.S. baseball season, the OhioHSAA issued a memo that included a photograph of a batting helmet with a chrome finish. The OhioHSAA memo (which did not reference the NFHS but the 2014-15 Rule Changes leads me to believe that questions regarding this type of finish were being raised around the country) stated that this type of finish was illegal.

2) I was in a Dick's Sporting Goods store in early June and I saw one for sale. I mentioned to a salesman that the batting helmet was illegal. He said that he knew that and he agreed that they should be illegal because of the finish, but he said that he had sold a number of them none-the-less.

3) Mark, Jr., and I were umpiring a H.S. summer league baseball game (NFHS Baseball Rules) when a batter came to the Plate wearing one. We told him he couldn't wear it and he complied without complaining.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio