The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
All BR has to do is contact the ball (kick) while it is in foul territory, then you have a foul ball.
This is true and the rule supports it.

AFA a play for INT, rule 8.2.F.1 does not mention a play or the word "play", but specifically does mention an attempt to field a batted ball.

Reading any more into it, IMO, could be considered just an attempt to justify a belief that is not supported by the rules.

Should it be changed? Probably, but until it is, why shouldn't the rule be applied as written?
Old Mon Jul 28, 2014, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
This is true and the rule supports it.

AFA a play for INT, rule 8.2.F.1 does not mention a play or the word "play", but specifically does mention an attempt to field a batted ball.

Reading any more into it, IMO, could be considered just an attempt to justify a belief that is not supported by the rules.

Should it be changed? Probably, but until it is, why shouldn't the rule be applied as written?
So I'm a little confused here now. I thought you were arguing the same thing Steve was, foul ball in both cases. Now I think I understand your comment about slow pitch being irrelevant.

So am I correct in understanding that you're saying to rule on this as the rule book is written.

R1 at 3rd, R2 at 2nd, BR hits a weird bouncer into foul territory that hits a rock and is starting to head fair. R1 has already scored when the First baseman tries to glove the ball in foul territory to keep it foul. Seeing this the very alert BR pushes his glove out of the way. The ball rolls into first base causing it to come to rest.

Is your ruling: Dead ball at the time the glove is hit, interference, the runner is out. (Not sure if you'd score the run here or call BR out and then call it foul)?

Now same issue, but on the third base side with R2 committing the interference.

Ruling: Foul ball, R2 is guilty of interference but the penalty is just that the ball is foul?

Steve you haven't answered how you'd rule on these either, but I don't think you and Mike agree and I'd love to see you two settle it because when we started this I just thought the rule book was confusing for a play that I understood. Now I have no clue what is expected on this.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2014, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me this is clearly just a foul ball in all softball codes. (And clearly an out in all baseball codes).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 28, 2014, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So I'm a little confused here now. I thought you were arguing the same thing Steve was, foul ball in both cases. Now I think I understand your comment about slow pitch being irrelevant.

So am I correct in understanding that you're saying to rule on this as the rule book is written.

R1 at 3rd, R2 at 2nd, BR hits a weird bouncer into foul territory that hits a rock and is starting to head fair. R1 has already scored when the First baseman tries to glove the ball in foul territory to keep it foul. Seeing this the very alert BR pushes his glove out of the way. The ball rolls into first base causing it to come to rest.

Is your ruling: Dead ball at the time the glove is hit, interference, the runner is out. (Not sure if you'd score the run here or call BR out and then call it foul)?

Now same issue, but on the third base side with R2 committing the interference.

Ruling: Foul ball, R2 is guilty of interference but the penalty is just that the ball is foul?

Steve you haven't answered how you'd rule on these either, but I don't think you and Mike agree and I'd love to see you two settle it because when we started this I just thought the rule book was confusing for a play that I understood. Now I have no clue what is expected on this.
I am agreeing that there is an inconsistency between the rules governing the BR and the R.

I am suggesting that lacking a change or a specific interpretation to contradict the rule, you call the rule as written which specifically states that if the BR interferes with the defender attempting to field a BATTED BALL.

Again, I agree it may not be right, but it is what it is.