The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

disappearing runners

I worked an ASA States 16U tournament last weekend.

We had an interesting play that developed. R1 on third, R2 on second, no outs. B3 hit a slow grounder in F6's direction. Runners were taking off. R2 bumped into F6. Partner on the bases called a dead ball and R2 out for interference. F6 still managed to field the ball and throw to F3 prior to the BR reaching first base (obviously moot).

When the dust settled and we looked around, we had no runners anywhere.

R1 apparently thought she had scored, R2 was out for INT, and BR thought she was out on the throw to F3.

Partner and I discussed and returned R1 to third and awarded BR first. Now with one out.

Both coaches must never had seen an INT call before. We were questioned by both of them about run should score, F6 was still able to make a play so why INT, why not a double play, and probably a couple more.

As we're walking through the parking lot after the game, a local umpire who was working on the ground crew was sitting in his lawn chair w/ his umpire manual. He tried to tell us that we messed up the call on that play and that we should have had a double play. He alternately mentioned that the BR should have been out or that the runner from third should have been out.

My partner wanted to discuss with him. I did not and told him so.

Other than that quirky play, the game was competitive and was decided by 1 run. Loser's bracket, so a team was eliminated.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I worked an ASA States 16U tournament last weekend.

We had an interesting play that developed. R1 on third, R2 on second, no outs. B3 hit a slow grounder in F6's direction. Runners were taking off. R2 bumped into F6. Partner on the bases called a dead ball and R2 out for interference. F6 still managed to field the ball and throw to F3 prior to the BR reaching first base (obviously moot).

When the dust settled and we looked around, we had no runners anywhere.

R1 apparently thought she had scored, R2 was out for INT, and BR thought she was out on the throw to F3.

Partner and I discussed and returned R1 to third and awarded BR first. Now with one out.

Both coaches must never had seen an INT call before. We were questioned by both of them about run should score, F6 was still able to make a play so why INT, why not a double play, and probably a couple more.

As we're walking through the parking lot after the game, a local umpire who was working on the ground crew was sitting in his lawn chair w/ his umpire manual. He tried to tell us that we messed up the call on that play and that we should have had a double play. He alternately mentioned that the BR should have been out or that the runner from third should have been out.

My partner wanted to discuss with him. I did not and told him so.

Other than that quirky play, the game was competitive and was decided by 1 run. Loser's bracket, so a team was eliminated.
Had to apply the same rule recently, met with both partners to confirm the timing. Explained it to the coach, who then asked the other two if that was the rule.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Partner and I discussed and returned R1 to third and awarded BR first. Now with one out....
You got it right
Old Fri Jul 04, 2014, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You got it right
How do you know it is right? There was no mention of R1s location at the time of the INT.

Please note, the OP stated the runners were off "taking off" (I'm assume that was with the swing, probably even earlier) and it was a slow roller.

I'm not saying they were wrong, but we do not have enough evidence to say it was right.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2014, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

I assumed there was that 50/50 chance for a play on R1 to justify INT
Old Fri Jul 04, 2014, 11:49am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper View Post
I assumed there was that 50/50 chance for a play on R1 to justify INT
Huh? The INT was justified because F6 was the protected fielder, and R2 ran into her. It had nothing to do with R1's position on the bases.

What IM's point was that R1 could have reached home when the INT was called. If that were the case, there's no returning her to third base; she scores.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Jul 04, 2014, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Huh? The INT was justified because F6 was the protected fielder, and R2 ran into her. It had nothing to do with R1's position on the bases.

What IM's point was that R1 could have reached home when the INT was called. If that were the case, there's no returning her to third base; she scores.
Correct, the good jump, fast runner, slow roller & fielder rule.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2014, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

To clarify the point on the position of R1, she had not crossed the plate at the time of the INT.

Runners were not off on the pitch, which would be foolish with no outs. They did, however, run on contact.
Old Sat Jul 05, 2014, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To clarify the point on the position of R1, she had not crossed the plate at the time of the INT.

Thank you for the clarification

Quote:
Runners were not off on the pitch, which would be foolish with no outs. They did, however, run on contact.
No more foolish than runners on 3rd breaking toward home on every pitch.