The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

My personal worst was a men's slow pitch game. Go figure!

Batted ball deep lands fair by inches. Outfielder start screaming "It was foul, it was foul!" I ignore him and follow play. End of pay he is still screaming "hey blue, that was a foul ball!" I finally acknowledge him "No it was fair, let's play".

He goes bezerkers. Immediately gets far too personal, way over the top. I toss him. No subs. Game over.

As me and my partner head off the field wheeee the game ball sails by my head. I turn around and here comes Mr. Bezerker at full speed toward me. I stand my ground and three of his teammates step in front of me. He is going on and on, I just said "tell it to the league I'm sure they will be wanting to talk to you!" Turned and walked out.

He was suspended, don't know how long. My regret was not filing an assault charge for throwing at my head. He missed, thank god. Had it hit me may have been hurt bad. I had my back to him when he threw it I never saw it coming.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
My personal worst was a men's slow pitch game. Go figure!
Worst on-field language I have ever heard consistently came from CHURCH LEAGUE men's slow pitch. Ironic.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Worst on-field language I have ever heard consistently came from CHURCH LEAGUE men's slow pitch. Ironic.
Heard about a fist fight at church league SP game once.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
Heard about a fist fight at church league SP game once.
Me too. It was in a country song.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 12:41pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
2000 ASA Class C 18U Nebraska state tournament in a podunk town two hours from Nowhereville...
Wow! You remember all of those details from a game played 14 years ago?? It must've been a pretty traumatic experience.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Those were my first 5 ejections.

Lifetime EJ Counter: 8 (ASA JO/Men's: 6 - TCS: 1 - NCAA: 1)

They don't add up.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 01:42pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
And my most recent and trying experience was when I did the plate for the local Catholic athletic conference playoff semifinal. The parents behind me were making rude comments about my zone, a call I made at home, and a couple of my partner's calls on the bases. They were all far from being good Catholics!
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
And my most recent and trying experience was when I did the plate for the local Catholic athletic conference playoff semifinal. The parents behind me were making rude comments about my zone, a call I made at home, and a couple of my partner's calls on the bases. They were all far from being good Catholics!
All they have to do is go to confession, light a votive candle, and they're all good to go (to the next game)!
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow, the Church League I occasionally work has a very clear rule. Any foul language (F..., S...., BI..., ect plus using the Lord's name in vain) are automatic ejections no questions asked. If the umpire hears it they are to eject. If the site supervisor hears it, they have the authority to eject the player as well. I have yet to have an ejection for that problem. I did have a guy stomp off an leave once because of a comment made by an opponent. In my opinion the player heard what he wanted to hear and not the context of how the comment was said, but he heard the comment, called for time from CF, walked to the dugout, grabbed his bat and left. The rest of us just stood in stunned silence for a moment, then continued the game.
Old Sat Jul 05, 2014, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Those were my first 5 ejections.

Lifetime EJ Counter: 8 (ASA JO/Men's: 6 - TCS: 1 - NCAA: 1)

They don't add up.
Yeah it does, 8 (ASA JO/Men's: 6). 5 of which are these!
Old Sun Jul 06, 2014, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Me too. It was in a country song.
"And it's church league softball, holler about a bad call
Preacher breaking up the fight
Then later on at the Green Light Tavern
Well everybody is gathered as friends"

Rodney Adkins "These are my people"

Great song.

It pretty much describes most slow pitch softball too.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2014, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

High school baseball game at a small school in the sticks years ago. Home team coach obviously intoxicated. He becomes increasingly belligerent as the game progresses and he is also inciting the home team fans. I'm on the bases and my partner at home lets it go way too far. I keep hinting to him that he has to eject the coach and end the game. Finally he does. Things get very nasty. I grab a bat and brandish it walking with my partner to the car. That coach was canned and I didn't go back to that school for a couple of years. Doing football for 40 seasons I was very leery of walking back through a crowd unaccompanied by any school personnel to our dressing room area. I was very alert to the possibility of some irate parent/fan coming at our crew. Yes, it can get scary at times. So far down here in Florida at the high school level I have had no real issues. FHSAA holds a real hammer to the folks, even to the form of fines.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2014, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
High school baseball game at a small school in the sticks years ago. Home team coach obviously intoxicated. He becomes increasingly belligerent as the game progresses and he is also inciting the home team fans. I'm on the bases and my partner at home lets it go way too far. I keep hinting to him that he has to eject the coach and end the game. Finally he does. Things get very nasty. I grab a bat and brandish it walking with my partner to the car. That coach was canned and I didn't go back to that school for a couple of years. Doing football for 40 seasons I was very leery of walking back through a crowd unaccompanied by any school personnel to our dressing room area. I was very alert to the possibility of some irate parent/fan coming at our crew. Yes, it can get scary at times. So far down here in Florida at the high school level I have had no real issues. FHSAA holds a real hammer to the folks, even to the form of fines.
Each umpire has equal authority and responsibility to eject.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2014, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Each umpire has equal authority and responsibility to eject.
My question too - why didn't you do your job?
Old Sat Jul 19, 2014, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Wow! You remember all of those details from a game played 14 years ago?? It must've been a pretty traumatic experience.
It's burned in my brain, at least the last few innings. I got asked to tell the story to the umpires at just about every tourney I went to for the next two years. There was a hearing scheduled by ASA and I had to prepare a statement, and I was supposed to "testify". The players and coach never showed up, so there was no need for me to speak. I never found out what was officially done, but through the grapevine I heard the two that touched me were banned from ASA for life, the other two + the coach were suspended for two years. If so, that was the last JO game ever for all of them.