The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

USC, injury

Batter strikes out swinging, back in the 1st base dugout, new batter at the plate, I, in "a", notice the first batter walking out the back of the dugout, violently winging her helmet and bat to the ground (no one around, no fence slammed against).
I'm sure there was no anger towards the PU (not relevant, just sayin').
Before they go out on defense, I tell the coach that if there was a called strike in that at-bat she'd most likely be gone, and it won't happen again.

Next inning, runner on same team (EP, PONY) blows out her knee in a rundown, taking the team down to 9 players, no subs.

Got me thinking...
IF batter had gotten tossed earlier, and the injury brought them down to 8, does that call for a forfeit?
Or only if it happened the other way around? 14-U PONY State Tournament.

Last edited by jmkupka; Mon Jun 30, 2014 at 09:38am.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

I do ASA & NFHS. I believe for those, the sequence of when things happens is the deciding factor. If an ejection brings a team to 8 in this example, then the forfeit. If 5 are ejected which brings a team to 9 and THEN an injury occurs, play on w/ an out in the missing player's batting position.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Batter strikes out swinging, back in the 1st base dugout, new batter at the plate, I, in "a", notice the first batter walking out the back of the dugout, violently winging her helmet and bat to the ground (no one around, no fence slammed against).
I'm sure there was no anger towards the PU (not relevant, just sayin').
Before they go out on defense, I tell the coach that if there was a called strike in that at-bat she'd most likely be gone, and it won't happen again.

Next inning, runner on same team (EP, PONY) blows out her knee in a rundown, taking the team down to 9 players, no subs.

Got me thinking...
IF batter had gotten tossed earlier, and the injury brought them down to 8, does that call for a forfeit?
Or only if it happened the other way around? 14-U PONY State Tournament.
Apparently they started 10.
If ejection and there is a sub, replace & continue, regardless of sequence.

If down to one fewer than started, then an ejection with no sub, done.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Started with 10, 1 EP, no subs. They took the outs when the injured player's spot came up.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I do ASA & NFHS. I believe for those, the sequence of when things happens is the deciding factor. If an ejection brings a team to 8 in this example, then the forfeit. If 5 are ejected which brings a team to 9 and THEN an injury occurs, play on w/ an out in the missing player's batting position.
For ASA, an ejected player must immediately be replaced with a substitute. If so sub is available, that is a forfeit. You can only play short handed due to injury or by not having enough players to start.

For NFHS, you may play short handed for any reason (injury, restriction, ejection) that takes you to one less than the minimum.

(note: I'm only replying to this quote, not the OP, as I am not familiar with PONY rules).
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I couldn't care less what the player does off the field with her equipment as long as there is no direct affect on what is happening on the field. And no, I'm not talking about being a distraction.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
For NFHS, you may play short handed for any reason (injury, restriction, ejection) that takes you to one less than the minimum.

(note: I'm only replying to this quote, not the OP, as I am not familiar with PONY rules).
Thanx, Slick

That's a learning for me. It's not come up in a HS game I've worked. Never worked a HS game where there was an ejection. Knock wood...
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised, Mike, that you wouldn't mind her blowing off steam with her equipment if you struck her out looking.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
I'm surprised, Mike, that you wouldn't mind her blowing off steam with her equipment if you struck her out looking.
I'm not speaking for Mike, but I have the same opinion as he does.

An on the field demonstration like this shows up the umpire and the game, even if she is just mad at herself for taking that pitch. A player with enough self-control to exit the field without directing her actions or a verbal outburst at the umpire deserves to have her actions off the field considered her private business, in my opinion.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The point of the OP is about the shorthanded rule, subs for ejected players, etc.; not whether her behavior deserved penalty.

"Got me thinking...
Or only if it happened the other way around?
"
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 03:47pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
An on the field demonstration like this shows up the umpire and the game, even if she is just mad at herself for taking that pitch. A player with enough self-control to exit the field without directing her actions or a verbal outburst at the umpire deserves to have her actions off the field considered her private business, in my opinion.
I respect your opinion. But I certainly don't agree with it. If I can see and/or hear her actions, so can others, and that still shows up the umpire and the game. Those kinds of outbursts have no place on the field or around it.

And, No, I don't go looking for it. The tirade would have to be one that attracts virtually everyone's attention and just cannot be ignored.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Manny,

And that's why I mentioned not slamming them against a fence. Actually quite quiet. The helmet went into the tall weeds adjacent to the field.
I'd be more concerned about ticks than anything else.

Something that gets you whipping your head around at the sound may require more attention.

Last edited by jmkupka; Mon Jun 30, 2014 at 03:53pm.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I respect your opinion. But I certainly don't agree with it. If I can see and/or hear her actions, so can others, and that still shows up the umpire and the game. Those kinds of outbursts have no place on the field or around it.

And, No, I don't go looking for it. The tirade would have to be one that attracts virtually everyone's attention and just cannot be ignored.
It strikes me that we are imagining different levels of outburst. I read the OP to be fairly contained, just included winging her helmet. It seems you are reading something a little more out there.

There is always a line somewhere; in this case, as neither of us actually saw and heard it, we can easily both be right (or even both be wrong!!) in how we would react to what we are thinking happened.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So if a coach or player gets ticked and kicks over the bat rack because s/he didn't like a called 3rd strike, you are going to toss that individual. At least, that would be in the team area.

If it isn't on the field or in the team area, and as stated before, doesn't directly affect the game on the field,IMO, it isn't the umpire's business
Old Tue Jul 01, 2014, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Personally, I couldn't care less what the player does off the field with her equipment as long as there is no direct affect on what is happening on the field. And no, I'm not talking about being a distraction.
Quote:
I'm not speaking for Mike, but I have the same opinion as he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So if a coach or player gets ticked and kicks over the bat rack because s/he didn't like a called 3rd strike, you are going to toss that individual. At least, that would be in the team area.

If it isn't on the field or in the team area, and as stated before, doesn't directly affect the game on the field,IMO, it isn't the umpire's business
Quote:
It strikes me that we are imagining different levels of outburst. I read the OP to be fairly contained, just included winging her helmet. It seems you are reading something a little more out there.

There is always a line somewhere; in this case, as neither of us actually saw and heard it, we can easily both be right (or even both be wrong!!) in how we would react to what we are thinking happened.
Quote:

I don't know if you guys were being rule-set specific or stating what you believed to be generally applicable to all rule sets, but NFHS has covered this directly:

Quote:
Rule: 10-1-2
ART. 2 . . . Umpire jurisdiction begins upon the arrival of one umpire within the confines of the field and ends when the umpires leave the field of play at the conclusion of the game.
NOTE: The umpires maintain administrative responsibilities for the contest through the completion of any required reports or correspondence in response to any action occurring while the umpires have jurisdiction.
Rule: 2-15
The confines of the field includes the field of play, the designated dugout/bench area, and any enclosed or clearly marked area designated as a warm-up area that is adjacent to the field and within the view of the umpire(s).
Rule: 3 SECTION 6 BENCH AND FIELD CONDUCT
ART. 16 . . . Team personnel shall not deliberately throw bats, helmets or any other piece of equipment.
PENALTY: (Arts. 11 through 16) The umpire shall eject the offender from the game, unless the offense is judged to be of a minor nature. If minor, the umpire may warn the offender and eject if the offense is repeated. (Arts. 11, 13) For coaches who violate, the umpire may restrict the offender to bench/dugout for the remainder of the game, or eject the offender.
Clearly, the dugout is within the umpire's jurisdiction AND throwing any equipment is an ejectable offense. In a high school game, if this draws my attention, there is AT LEAST a warning issued.