The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Unintentional Contact with Detached Glove

ISF ruleset--

Just wanted to know anyone's thoughts on this. Pitcher's glove for whatever reason ends up on the grass near the pitcher's plate. Throw comes in from right field, misses cutoff and goes close to the glove before F6 finally jumps on it before rolling dead.

Clearly nothing wrong with any of that except for the tantrum that the pitcher threw his glove on the floor. My question is if the ball had hit the glove instead of rolling past-- I can't see a rule for a thrown ball unintentionally contacting detached equipment. Intentional contact is delayed dead ball, three bases from the pitch. Can it be argued that the tantrum was an intentional detaching of the glove therefore the ball is intentionally touched by detached equipment?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnalex View Post
ISF ruleset--

Just wanted to know anyone's thoughts on this. Pitcher's glove for whatever reason ends up on the grass near the pitcher's plate. Throw comes in from right field, misses cutoff and goes close to the glove before F6 finally jumps on it before rolling dead.

Clearly nothing wrong with any of that except for the tantrum that the pitcher threw his glove on the floor. My question is if the ball had hit the glove instead of rolling past-- I can't see a rule for a thrown ball unintentionally contacting detached equipment. Intentional contact is delayed dead ball, three bases from the pitch. Can it be argued that the tantrum was an intentional detaching of the glove therefore the ball is intentionally touched by detached equipment?
You are not going to find anything because it doesn't exist and no, it cannot be argued as such. No, unsportsmanlike conduct is another issue, but all you will get out of that is the need for a substitute.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2014, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ISF ruleset--

Without thinking about the rule set, I'm thinking just from an advantage/disadvantage point of view. The defensive players action (throwing the glove down in disgust), caused the glove to be on the field of play. They should not be in any way, shape, or form benefitted from a thrown ball striking this piece of equipment.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2014, 01:59pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I don't know about ISF, but wouldn't this be a blocked ball in other rule sets?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jul 01, 2014, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Wouldn't the glove become a part of the field similar to the bat laying in fair territory? The glove is a part of the official equipment of the game.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Without thinking about the rule set, I'm thinking just from an advantage/disadvantage point of view. The defensive players action (throwing the glove down in disgust), caused the glove to be on the field of play. They should not be in any way, shape, or form benefitted from a thrown ball striking this piece of equipment.
Advantage / disadvantage is a basketball mindset. Shouldn't be used here. The rules are clear on this particular situation.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Blocked ball would be if it was a glove of someone not currently playing. In this case you have a live ball defense better go get it runners may advance at their own risk.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 12:13pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
Wouldn't the glove become a part of the field similar to the bat laying in fair territory? The glove is a part of the official equipment of the game.
The difference is that a bat is discarded after use. The same is relatively the case with a catcher's helmet/mask. And although there's an expectation of it remaining on the runner's head, a helmet sometimes comes off during the course of play.

But a fielder's glove? Those shouldn't ever come off a fielder's hand unless it's knocked off by a batted ball or a tag. And the fielder almost always retrieves it immediately and doesn't leave it on the ground. But if it's a case where the fielder throws it down in frustration, he/she should be held accountable for that.

I guess I stand corrected.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Advantage / disadvantage is a basketball mindset. Shouldn't be used here. The rules are clear on this particular situation.
I agree in principal and I never use that terminology, but there is a difference in the rulings for when a ball is blocked by the offense or the defense.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2014, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

As far as I'm aware blocked ball is only for equipment that's not official playing equipment.

One to keep in the back of my mind next time I have a stroppy pitcher.

Incidentally in that game I got to call my first double-hit. Happened so quick I wasn't sure what the sound of it was, and got very excited when I got to call it!
Old Mon Jul 07, 2014, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
I agree in principal and I never use that terminology, but there is a difference in the rulings for when a ball is blocked by the offense or the defense.
But this is not a blocked ball. This is a nothing, no matter which team ends up advantaged or disadvantaged.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 07, 2014, 10:50am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Incidentally in that game I got to call my first double-hit. Happened so quick I wasn't sure what the sound of it was, and got very excited when I got to call it!
I assume you mean the bat contacted the ball twice in one swing, and not the more routine bat-hitting-ball on a follow through swing or on a discarded bat. So what did you rule?
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Simply foul because it was quick. Pitcher was asking why not out but it's a rarity it's a double hit in the box.