The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 24, 2014, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Out of curiosity, I can see no scenario where you and he should have had a conversation about this play. How did that happen?
md this was a dixie softball all-star tourney where we are asked if a coach asks you to get together then you do it. We both had the same call and same application. once we got together we expalined the ruling would stand and we were playing ball and not discussing it further. We went back to playing ball
Old Tue Jun 24, 2014, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I didn't read into this that the PU and the coach spoke about the play. My thought was that the coach spoke with the BU who made the call, the BU called his partner to discuss it, and then the BU stayed with his call, prompting the coach to believe the PU agreed with it.
correct manny
Old Tue Jun 24, 2014, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
" The coach got so mad at me he went to the tourney director and asked that i be removed from the tournament. I didnt make the call but because i agreed with the base umpires call he got upset."

While I suppose it doesn't specifically state PU and coach had a conversation... this part sure does make it seem like they did. If they didn't, wouldn't coach's ire (and discussion with TD) be directed at BU? How would he know PU agreed and didn't simply have no opinion?
i should have stated after the game they went to tourney director. Also, coach came to base umpire, asked him if we could get together, we did the base umpire stayed with his call. Until this point i was surveying the field and watching everything unfold from just in front of the plate. They were out by first base. One coach one umpire.

Dixie has us confer to make sure rules are applied correctly due to that is the only protests the coaches get are due to mis-application of the rules.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2014, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys for all the information. This site has helped me become a better umpire and I use what i learn here and the extra studying this site makes me do to help train other "rec umpires" so leagues get better service.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4tide View Post
Thanks guys for all the information. This site has helped me become a better umpire and I use what i learn here and the extra studying this site makes me do to help train other "rec umpires" so leagues get better service.
I am glad this board helps you...it helps me, also.

Question: Did you check the rules book right after the game or later that day or at all? If you did, why the question?