The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 22, 2014, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=CecilOne;936486]This happened:
R1 on 2nd. Ground ball headed for left field, R1 heads for 3rd, BU cuts behind her toward infield. F6 makes an amazing play on ball, jumps up and chases R1 back toward 2nd. BU still cutting in and after 1 or 2 steps, R1 runs into BU. F6 tags R1 at collision point, 10 – 15 feet from 2nd. BU calls dead ball, confers with PU.

They decide it was an umpire mistake, misjudging the play and R1’s speed; causing jeopardy for R1, who might have made it back to 2nd. DC disagrees, but BU rules “part of field” applies to ball, not players. Based on jeopardy from umpire mistake, BU places R1 on 2nd, BR on 1st.

Maybe lots of questions here, including whether jeopardy requires a changed ruling.

What are your opinions?[/QUOTE

No Rule Support for poor Officiating !! You must live with this one forever.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2014, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thanks to all, that's what I thought afterward; trying too hard to be fair I guess.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 05:08am
Stirrer of the Pot

Just to add from an umpiring lessons learned perspective, be careful anticipating something too early. Busting in before the ball is clearly into the outfield can bite you in the butt as was clearly demonstrated here. I did something similar in an 18 Gold qualifier (two man crew) a couple of years ago when I thought a sharp ground ball past F1 was going to go into right-centerfield, I came in to button hook at first, and almost got clocked by F4's throw after she made a fine backhanded stop.

Timing, timing, timing not only applies to calls, but to positioning as well.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Jul 06, 2014, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

hijack !! egads!

Did you know that a runner standing on 1st with the ball in the pitcher's control in the circle may run to 2nd if the fielders are not paying attention?

Corollary - Even with the ball in the circle, the umpires must call time to restrict the runner?

Last edited by CecilOne; Mon Jul 07, 2014 at 07:25am.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2014, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Did you know that a runner standing on 1st with the ball in the pitcher's control in the circle may run to 2nd if the fielders are not paying attention?
Yes, IF the pitcher doesn't have BOTH possession AND control, the runner may run. Even IF the ball is in the circle. (ASA)

Coach will go bonkers. But that's the rule in ASA.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2014, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
Yes, IF the pitcher doesn't have BOTH possession AND control, the runner may run. Even IF the ball is in the circle. (ASA)

Did you not read "ball in the pitcher's control "?
Did you not see ?
Old Sun Jul 06, 2014, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post

What is the rule in the following situation.

Pitcher has the ball in the circle, runners back onto the bases. Pitcher takes her glove off, with the ball in her glove and holds it between her knees as she fixes her hair? Does she still have possession and control?

IIRC what I've heard is ASA rules no, but NFHS says yes. Am I correct? Personally I think the pitcher should just do the smart thing and ask for time in the first place.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2014, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
What is the rule in the following situation.

Pitcher has the ball in the circle, runners back onto the bases. Pitcher takes her glove off, with the ball in her glove and holds it between her knees as she fixes her hair? Does she still have possession and control?

IIRC what I've heard is ASA rules no, but NFHS says yes. Am I correct? Personally I think the pitcher should just do the smart thing and ask for time in the first place.
Yes, you are correct, but it is a little ridiculous for NFHS as I've never seen a pitcher make a play on a runner with the ball not in her hands. Just one more reason to kill the rule.