The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 19, 2014, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Runner collides with on deck batter

Runner on 2nd and 1st batter hits a ball into the gap runner on second comes around 3rd and going home on deck batter thinks she needs to get the bat out of the way and goes to pick it up, the runner going home collides with the girl picking up the bat, the ball is thrown to cut off person standing at second.

Is this considered assisting the runner? I was told that I should have called the runner out and returned the runners to the base they occupied at the time of the collision.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2014, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoore View Post
Runner on 2nd and 1st batter hits a ball into the gap runner on second comes around 3rd and going home on deck batter thinks she needs to get the bat out of the way and goes to pick it up, the runner going home collides with the girl picking up the bat, the ball is thrown to cut off person standing at second.

Is this considered assisting the runner? I was told that I should have called the runner out and returned the runners to the base they occupied at the time of the collision.
How is getting in the way of your own runner assisting them? Assist would be to help someone, not hinder them.

Last edited by RKBUmp; Sat Apr 19, 2014 at 07:57pm.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2014, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
How is getting in the way of your own runner assisting them? Assist would be to help someone, not hinder them.
I am tend to agree, I made no call on the play, but after the game was over I was told otherwise from the UIC of the conference.

I ask under what rule he felt covered this and he stated assisting the runner and my comment was she was not assisted, he didn't agree I looked in the NCAA rule book but I could not find any effects to help me out one way or the other

Last edited by Gmoore; Sat Apr 19, 2014 at 08:12pm.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2014, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You were told wrong. Unless the non-runner actually provides some level of assistance, it is nothing.

Well, thank goodness no one mentioned calling obstruction on the ODB
Old Sat Apr 19, 2014, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have to agree with the other posts. I don't see anything that resembles assisting a runner in what is described. The only way this is assisting a runner is if the collision knocked the runner down and then the ODB helped the runner get back up, then we could have assisting, otherwise I don't see anything to suggest assisting.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2014, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, thank goodness no one mentioned calling obstruction on the ODB
Until now!
Old Sun Apr 20, 2014, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

I can't help myself, if the PU had Safely, and Carefully removed the bat from a dangerous location. Nothing Follows
Old Sun Apr 20, 2014, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeump View Post
I can't help myself, if the PU had Safely, and Carefully removed the bat from a dangerous location. Nothing Follows
the bat was about half way between home and third on the fair ground, the runner took a wide turn coming home, didn't think it was in the way
Old Sun Apr 20, 2014, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeump View Post
The ODB stays off the field and nothing happens or the umpire goes to move the bat and get run over by the player instead of being back where s/he belongs.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the bat was about half way between home and third on the fair ground, the runner took a wide turn coming home, didn't think it was in the way
The bat was 30 feet up the 3rd base line in fair territory? I find that hard to believe. I find it even harder to believe that an on-deck batter ran 40+ feet to go get a bat that wasn't in the way and impeded her own runner. None of that makes sense.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
The bat was 30 feet up the 3rd base line in fair territory? I find that hard to believe. I find it even harder to believe that an on-deck batter ran 40+ feet to go get a bat that wasn't in the way and impeded her own runner. None of that makes sense.
You've never seen a batter release on contact and the bat go flying into the infield?

No one said it made any sense, but maybe this team had a policy of sorts that the ODB always cleared the bat. Using common sense doesn't seem to be a requirement for this game.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
I find it even harder to believe that an on-deck batter ran 40+ feet to go get a bat that wasn't in the way and impeded her own runner. None of that makes sense.
Happens more often from 3rd base dugout. 30 feet up the line is pretty close to the on deck circle.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I don't find it hard to believe that the bat ended up there - but I do find it very odd that the ODB went out there. Kind of stupid really ... just a shade stupider than the umpire trying to run out there and move it.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I don't find it hard to believe that the bat ended up there - but I do find it very odd that the ODB went out there. Kind of stupid really ... just a shade stupider than the umpire trying to run out there and move it.
I'd "shade" it the other way. The PU has no business going after a bat half way to 3B with an active runner coming home.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I'd "shade" it the other way. The PU has no business going after a bat half way to 3B with an active runner coming home.
Fair enough!

West Houston Mike