The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Breaking News - Louisville Slugger 2013 oneX bats (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/94140-breaking-news-louisville-slugger-2013-onex-bats.html)

HugoTafurst Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:26am

Breaking News - Louisville Slugger 2013 oneX bats

Breaking News....

http://www.slugger.com/fastpitch/con...0-%20final.pdf

Received notice of this today (Feb. 22)
The bats mentioned were on the NCAA approved list (at least I know the 136 was) from January and are NOT on the list of approved bats published Feb.21, 2013.

Haven't heard from NFHS or ASA yet...

AtlUmpSteve Fri Feb 22, 2013 01:21pm

Interesting conundrum on the ASA side, it appears; and NFHS simply follows the ASA standards.

The conundrun is:
1) These three models do not appear today on the Approved Bat list (unless I just missed them; FP136, FP1368, FP1369).
2) These three models do have the 2004 Certification mark.
3) These three models do not appear on the list of bats with 2004 Certification that are now NonApproved.

I suspect the language on the NonApproved list may be the issue; it states the bats on that list failed field tests, and these did not. They are being recalled by Louisville Slugger because they break at the taper so often/easily that LS realized they are unsafe.

HugoTafurst Fri Feb 22, 2013 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 881160)
Interesting conundrum on the ASA side, it appears; and NFHS simply follows the ASA standards.

The conundrun is:
1) These three models do not appear today on the Approved Bat list (unless I just missed them; FP136, FP1368, FP1369).
3) These three models do not appear on the list of bats with 2004 Certification that are now NonApproved.

I suspect the language on the NonApproved list may be the issue; it states the bats on that list failed field tests, and these did not. They are being recalled by Louisville Slugger because they break at the taper so often/easily that LS realized they are unsafe.

That was exactly the conversation I had with a fellow official this morning.
We do both NCAA and HS together.
He passed the note on to the HS commisioner and we are hoping for quick answer...
IN THE MEANTIME, as I head to my HS game tonight, knowing what I know, I can not allow these bats in the game.
I have printed out the note from Louisville Slugger Division and will be carrying it with me.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Feb 23, 2013 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 881160)

The conundrun is:

Then they are not good to go for ASA. However, NFHS does NOT require the bat to be on the Approved Bat List, so they should be good to go for HS.

SE Minnestoa Re Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30am

Worked a Division II NCAA tournament this weekend and all the teams were saying that they had to throw these bats out. One team had to find bats from last season because their new ones were all the tossed model.

outathm Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:32pm

If the team returns the bat to Louisville Slugger they will get a new bat. No need to throw them away. That is what a manufacturer recall is all about. Getting an unsafe product off the market and replacing or repairing it to make it safe.