LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Runner Interference Question

Parent here(again) looking to see if the umpire got it right today

PONY Tourn.
R1 on First.
BR hits ground ball to F4.
F4 moves infront of R1 to field the ball.
Umpire makes immediate dead ball call, even though no contact occurred.
R1 is called out.
BR is placed on 1st.

I thought the BR should be out along with R1.

Did the umpire make the right call??

Thanks
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure the PONY rule is the same regarding interference.

If your questions is whether or not the interference call on R1 was correct, don't know, you don't really give us anything to go on other than there was no contact (Which is not required for interference)

Placing the batter on first is correct.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg99 View Post
Parent here(again) looking to see if the umpire got it right today

PONY Tourn.
R1 on First.
BR hits ground ball to F4.
F4 moves infront of R1 to field the ball.
Umpire makes immediate dead ball call, even though no contact occurred.
R1 is called out.
BR is placed on 1st.

I thought the BR should be out along with R1.

Did the umpire make the right call??

Thanks
Where's the INT?
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Without being there and seeing it, I'd say maybe. They must have seen something to rule INT, I'm thinking - especially since you think the B/R should also be out. PONY INT rule (Rule 9-8-j) However, PONY does NOT mention "contact is not necessary for INT" until you read POE #24, where it discusses all forms of interference, including contact, verbal or visual distraction, or any type of distraction that would hinder the defense in the execution of a play. If the umpire determined INT by R1 then yes the R1 is out and B/R gets 1st. Why would you think B/R should also be out? That's only if the INT, in the judgment of the umpire, is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the baserunner is put out. Doesn't sound like it in your case at all. Was there visual or verbal distraction that hindered?

Hope that helps.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Sat Jun 02, 2012 at 09:55pm.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replys.

I was thinking the BR should be out also because the defense didn't even have a chance to put her out. It would have been an easy Put Out for F4 if it wasn't for the Dead Ball call. Actually it could have also been a chance for a Double Play too.

You all are saying the only why for the BR to be out too is if R1 intentionaly interferes with the attempt the PO the BR?

Thanks
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg99 View Post
Thanks for the replys.

I was thinking the BR should be out also because the defense didn't even have a chance to put her out. It would have been an easy Put Out for F4 if it wasn't for the Dead Ball call. Actually it could have also been a chance for a Double Play too.

You all are saying the only why for the BR to be out too is if R1 intentionaly interferes with the attempt the PO the BR?

Thanks
I'm still waiting to hear how this was INT
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

I Didn't see interference. The offensive coach came out and questioned the call too. The same umpire made a similar call in another game. IMO he was calling interference to early, maybe trying to avoid a collision.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Where's the INT?
Maybe F4 had to run around or otherwise avoid the runner before fielding the ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
Why would you think B/R should also be out? That's only if the INT, in the judgment of the umpire, is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the baserunner is put out.
Or after.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Or after.
Not necessarily.

Under PONY rules, when a runner who is declared out (or after scoring) interferes with a defensive player's opportunity to make a play on another runner, the runner closest to home will be declared out. (9-8-r vs. 9-8-j) In this case, this would be the B/R. But this is under a separate rule and done so to avert a runner who has already been declared out interfering with an opportunity to make a play on another runner regardless of which runner it is. It seems the same, but it's really not.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
Not necessarily.

Under PONY rules, when a runner who is declared out (or after scoring) interferes with a defensive player's opportunity to make a play on another runner, the runner closest to home will be declared out. (9-8-r vs. 9-8-j) In this case, this would be the B/R. But this is under a separate rule and done so to avert a runner who has already been declared out interfering with an opportunity to make a play on another runner regardless of which runner it is. It seems the same, but it's really not.
Of course... but ... how is this "not necessarily" the B/R - there are no other runners on base!

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Of course... but ... how is this "not necessarily" the B/R - there are no other runners on base!
it would not necessarily be the B/R IF .... there were others on base.

I should have said, yes, but it doesn't have to be. But I didn't want to get too confusing to anyone reading it.

Seems like I failed in that!

Plus, according to the OP, R1 hadn't already been put out, so this rule doesn't apply here.

Last edited by LIUmp; Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 05:19pm.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

And as far as the OP goes, after reading your last response....how can we tell if the umpire made the wrong or right call??? You now say you didn't think there was INT yet you would want the B/R to be called out also? I'm thinking you are wondering why can't there be an out on the B/R in this situation regardless of the actions of the other runner. On edit, you did say that.

That's the way the INT rule usually works. Dead ball, runner who interfered is out, all runners return to last base occupied at the time of INT, B/R gets first base. The only case of getting the B/R out is IF, in the judgment of the umpire, the INT is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the baserunner is put out. This can't be the case, I'm assuming, by your words, you "don't even think there was INT in the first place."

This is the misunderstanding among parents and coaches on this rule. I hope this explanation has helped you.

Last edited by LIUmp; Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 05:37pm.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the replys.

I have a much better understanding of runner interference now.

Thanks Again