The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
It is impossible for the infield fly rule, called or uncalled, to affect the actions of the batter-runner. Given that the rules tell us that it is the responsibility of the players to know the rules - BR has no reason at all to not run to first (or no excuse should he/she choose not to run when IFF was not really in effect).
that is quite strong language but when the person in charge of knowing and applying the rules errs and a player reacts to that, there has to be a redress to the screw up. And Asa has a case play for it.

8.2-30

with a runner on 3b and no outs, the batter hits a high fly in the infield above f4's head. the bsase umpire erroneously calls infield fly,batter is out. f4 subsequently drops the ball. the runner from 3b scores and
the batter (a) ends up at 2nd base, or (b) goes to the dugout when he heard the base umpire call him out.

ruling; Th e run scores. in (a)leave the bater at 2b on the correctable error; however, in (b), the plate umpire should rectify the situation by placing the batter on 1b. (8-2i: 8-2d: 10-6c) Thiss is from a case book I bought in 2003
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Nah, just poor punctuation.

Should have been, "Play is blown."
, dead.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
The umpires used whistles? Irishmafia: Is this a new mechanic I'm not aware of?

Who said anything about whistles? It was windy!
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Worked men's wreck league game last night w/ a junior partner on the plate. One out, runners on 1st & 2nd. We did flash IF signal to each other.

Batter hit a looping ball over shortstop, who turned toward the outfield to track it down. Partner called IF very quickly and when the ball landed well over the shortstop's head into the outfield, the offense was pretty steamed.

Lots of outcry and you gotta be kiddings. I thought maybe the coach would come out to talk to PU and perhaps we'd end up getting together to talk about it. As I'm thinking about what I'd do, I thought putting the batter on 1st and advancing each runner 1 base would be the appropriate correction.

But the coach never came out and the game continued from there. Partner and I talked a couple of innings after that, but I didn't bring up Rule 10. Given how it played out, I thought I'd let this one sit in his craw a while. He knew he messed it up, so I left it at that.

The team that the call went against mounted a rally in the top of the 7th and ultimately came up 1 run short. Hindsight being 20-20, they may have had a big inning killed in that earlier inning.
Old Fri May 25, 2012, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for this discussion. It's helpful to illustrate how we as umpires can take things into consideration after making a correctable mistake.

Scott