The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Game gets to bottom of the 3rd and the lights go out (inning not completed).........the lights are broken and cannot be fixed.......

NFHS rules.........does the game restart or is it picked back up at the point that the lights went out..........

This happened in the oldest's game tonight...........I was not there because picking up Middle D from dance.........

I know that in ASA the game would resume........but am unsure as to NFHS..........I cannot find my book.

Thanks in advance................

Joel
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

The game resumes exactly were it left off.Baserunners are put on the bases they obtained and if there was a count on the batter it remains.In PA we have a form to complete for the resumption of the game.Hopefully the umpire checked and signed the scorebooks.

Jeff
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Joel,
You'll have to check to see what your state high school association sez. Jeff is right for Pa, but I'm pretty sure that the book sez it's a "no game" IF the state has not adopted game-ending procedures and all that. Since your game died in the third, it's not complete - in states other than here in Pa, the game never happened.

Yo Jeff, I think I've got a game with Gerry O at Millersville in April. The last time we worked together was at Millersville during our rookie year with the PSAC and a fight nearly broke out. Just what we wanted to see with those two coaches. Tell Gerry I said hi - Carl too.

Steve M
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

That was my first assumtion............but my daughter called me and thought they were going to have to replay the game.........

She was a bit ticked because they were playing a 5A school and were leading at the time (she was also 2-2)......

I will make sure the coach knows........

What is the NFHS rule #??

Thanks

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Mar 11th, 2003 at 08:55 PM]
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

2003 FED 4.2.4 "if a game is called before completion . . . (etc). . the umpire shall declare the contest "no game."

As others have mentioned, it should be the responsiblity of your State to provide game suspension procedures.

Interestingly, Michigan has a lengthly procedure for game suspension and resumption process - but only for weather related (snow, rain, lightening). I am not aware of any schools playing under lights; being in the western end of the daylight savings time zone, we have 4 - 5 hours of daylight in April/May, more than enough time. (But some of those freshmen double headers in early April may not make it.)
WMB
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
Game gets to bottom of the 3rd and the lights go out (inning not completed).........the lights are broken and cannot be fixed.......

NFHS rules.........does the game restart or is it picked back up at the point that the lights went out..........

This happened in the oldest's game tonight...........I was not there because picking up Middle D from dance.........

I know that in ASA the game would resume........but am unsure as to NFHS..........I cannot find my book.

Thanks in advance................

Joel
Not your call.

Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Joel:

As you know, UIL has let each of the many (and I do mean many) districts in the state adopt how they will deal with these issues. The coaches should have known what their district has adopted in just such a case.

Scott