The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Seven Obstruction on one play.

In my game last night, bases loaded. Ball hit to the fence, every body scores, every body is obstructed at least once, the batter was obstructed three times, runner from first twice, others just once. Catcher committed four, third base two, and first one.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

What? You had TWO chances on EACH runner at 2nd base - once from F4, once from F6 - and couldn't get a single obstruction over there? What - were you watching the ball and not the bases?!?!

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 07:53am

Cue the Benny Hill Theme music!
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

How did you have enough arms to signal obstruction for each one? Are you an octopus?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
How did you have enough arms to signal obstruction for each one? Are you an octopus?
Brings up something I've wondered from watching different actions by very experienced guys...

When you see obstruction, what exactly do you say, and how loudly. I've seen everything from a very loud, "I have obstruction at first!!!" to a soft, "Obstruction" to no sound at all --- all of this from guys with more experience than me.

Secondly, how long to you hold up the arm. I see some hold it until the play ends, others hold it until they get to the base they are going to award, others hold it about 2-3 seconds then drop it.

And since I'm asking, I'll say what I tend to do. In a normal speaking voice I say obstruction ... if I'm responsible for multiple runners at the time, I may point at the base where it happened briefly (tell me if this is horrible!), and then hold the left arm out about 2-3 seconds.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

I hold my arm out until the runner gets to where I think they would have gotten had there been no obstruction. I no longer give a verbal call, nor do I point to the location (every body knows where the opstruction occured so why point). The old mechanic for NFHS was to verbalize obstruction, but that changed some years ago.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 01:54pm
Never Stop Learning

Both NFHS and ASA call for a verbal and delayed dead ball signal on obstruction. They also state that it should be held long enough to be seen and not held throughout the play.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
Both NFHS and ASA call for a verbal and delayed dead ball signal on obstruction. They also state that it should be held long enough to be seen and not held throughout the play.
That is about what I do, too. My vocal is no where near the level that a called strike three or a sell out vocal would be, but it is at a volume where I am sure the nearest fielder(s) and the runner hear it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.