The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NCAA softball pitching rules (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53711-ncaa-softball-pitching-rules.html)

Tru_in_Blu Sun Jun 21, 2009 04:24pm

NCAA softball pitching rules

I live in NH and next year our varsity high school pitching distance will be changed from 40 to 43 feet. Neighboring Massachusetts changed last year or the year before.

Working a tournament this weekend, this was being discussed, and some of the problems it might cause on multi-use fields, i.e. pitchers plates at 40, 43, 46 and 50 feet.

Anyways, as my partner and I were leaving the equipment check to do the pre-game, I overheard something about some NCAA pitching rule changes for next year. I didn't quite understand what they were saying, but I think one comment I heard was that the pitcher could do anything they wanted from behind the pitcher's plate. Not sure what that means, or if any of that is true.

I don't do NCAA, but I do follow some of the games on TV.

Has anyone heard something similar and explain?

Thanx,

SethPDX Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 610043)
I live in NH and next year our varsity high school pitching distance will be changed from 40 to 43 feet. Neighboring Massachusetts changed last year or the year before.

Working a tournament this weekend, this was being discussed, and some of the problems it might cause on multi-use fields, i.e. pitchers plates at 40, 43, 46 and 50 feet.

Anyways, as my partner and I were leaving the equipment check to do the pre-game, I overheard something about some NCAA pitching rule changes for next year. I didn't quite understand what they were saying, but I think one comment I heard was that the pitcher could do anything they wanted from behind the pitcher's plate. Not sure what that means, or if any of that is true.

I don't do NCAA, but I do follow some of the games on TV.

Has anyone heard something similar and explain?

Thanx,

Don't do NCAA so I haven't heard anything about rules changes, but Oregon went to 43' this past season as well. I didn't hear anything about problems with schools getting it changed, or multiple plates on a field (I only had a few games on multi-use fields).

(We were reminded that should there be a question dealing with pitching distances on the NFHS test, the "correct" distance was 40' ;))

CelticNHBlue Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:23am

The non-voting umpire on the NCAA rules committee is from Massachusettes and he is planning to/is in the process of writing a proposed rule change that would not be voted on until the 2011 season. It is something that has been suggested and discussed on this board in the past and that is to move the circle so that the front of the circle is the pitchers plate and allow the pitcher any such motion/step/angle they desire such that their landing foot remains completely within/behind the circle/pitcher's plate.

This has been discussed amongst some of us here in the area who are familiar with the individual on the committee and the 'rumor' has been getting around, at least within our area/region. I am not certain when the committee meets again, but I do know that a final draft of the rule is to be ready for that meeting.

marvin Mon Jun 22, 2009 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue (Post 610161)
... that is to move the circle so that the front of the circle is the pitchers plate and allow the pitcher any such motion/step/angle they desire such that their landing foot remains completely within/behind the circle/pitcher's plate.

Wouldn't it be hard to step toward the plate and remain in a circle that has it's front at the pitcher's plate? How can you keep your landing foot behind pitcher's plate and step toward home plate?

I can't picture what you mean by this.

3SPORT Mon Jun 22, 2009 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin (Post 610191)
Wouldn't it be hard to step toward the plate and remain in a circle that has it's front at the pitcher's plate? How can you keep your landing foot behind pitcher's plate and step toward home plate?

I do not understand how this will work either.

vcblue Mon Jun 22, 2009 03:12pm

The only problem (a big one IMO) is that 2'-6" is not enough of a distance to prevent the pitcher from hitting the 40' plat when dragging. I worked a Gold tournament last year and there was a canyon dugout between the two plates. We had some outrageous scores at that level because the pitchers had to adjust to the conditions and could not throw their normal pitches.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 22, 2009 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin (Post 610191)

A couple years ago, myself and a few others on another board had tossed around the idea of just moving the PP back to whatever, say 46', maybe 50'. Eliminate the rules concerning leaping, crow hopping, 24" pitching lane, contact with both feet, etc.

Basically, it was that the pitcher could do whatever they pleased as long as they started from a stop in contact with the PP, delivered the ball in the same underhand manner and stayed inside the same circle.

Tru_in_Blu Mon Jun 22, 2009 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcblue (Post 610211)
The only problem (a big one IMO) is that 2'-6" is not enough of a distance to prevent the pitcher from hitting the 40' plat when dragging. I worked a Gold tournament last year and there was a canyon dugout between the two plates. We had some outrageous scores at that level because the pitchers had to adjust to the conditions and could not throw their normal pitches.

I think we may be comparing apples and oranges here. The distance between pitcher's plates would/might occur in high school games where both varsity and sub-varsity games are played. That's why I think it would be a problem w/ multiple PPs. When I pitched from 46 feet, and there was a second PP at 40', it was very distracting to me. Not that I could leap 5 and a half feet, but having a ball hit off that front plate was a bit scary.

The college scenario sounds like the PP would be moved about 8 feet closer to HP and that would be the "front" part of a 16' diameter circle. So a pitcher could start anywhere from about 16' behind the PP, leap, jump, crow hop, etc., deliver the ball and as long as she didn't hit or cross over the PP, that would be considered legal. Sounds a bit radical.

Or, is it leave the PP where it is, and simply move the whole circle back?

CelticNHBlue - did I grasp the concept?

CelticNHBlue Mon Jun 22, 2009 05:14pm

Mike has the concept pretty well summarized. The distance of the front, or closest point of the circle is still a question.

The circle is currently independant of the pitching plate and is only to be considered for the purposes of the LBR. Now, the forward perimeter is also the pitching 'limit' and is the sole issue for determing illegal pitches.