The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 09, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Here's the thing... compared with a baseball, a softball has greater mass and travels a shorter distance. The aerodynamic forces would, therefore, have to be greater to influence the linear momentum of the ball (product of velocity and mass) quickly enough to have any material effect. It is possible to doctor a softball to cause this, but simple saliva won't cut it. And, as Mike pointed out, compared with the mass of the softball, the saliva has no shot at unbalancing the ball, either.
I thought the greater mass, hence more stitches and surface are what helped in the ball movement, provided the pitcher imparted enough spin and maximized the number of seams catching air. I played ball with a lefty that could throw a flat curveball that broke 12 to 15 inches. You could hear the ball hissing from the spin he was able to impart on the ball.

Ted
Old Thu Apr 09, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Consider a ball pitched without spin in a straight line. It will have linear momentum equal to its mass times its velocity moving in that straight line. If a force (such as aerodynamic forces generated by spin breaking up surface tension or creating aerodynamic "lift" so to speak on one direction or another) is to influence this straight-line momentum, it will need to generate enough force to cause a change in the direction of the flight of the ball, and it has only about 35 or so feet and .2 seconds to accomplish this. Other than allowing the pitcher to get a better grip on the ball (and hence impart more spin, etc.) the change in aerodynamic force from a little saliva has no shot.
Old Thu Apr 09, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Mike,

Other than your well known ability to play mind games, you're not one to misstate the obvious, especially several times in one thread.

Makes me wonder about the "advantage" thing. The best I could come up with is since it is obviously an advantange to be able to grip the ball, compared with the absurdity of not being able to grip the ball, you were using the word in the rules sense of "illegal advantage." Or, you could just be playing mind games. Or, both.
Tom,

My point is that when a pitcher wets here fingers, it is to add moisture to the skin, not the ball. The moisture, if any at all, which may transfer to the ball will be minimal and not enough to be aborbed into the cover let alone affect the balls flight.

As has been pointed out, this is a game played in the dirt which does cause a ball and player's hands to become dusty and dry. The reason players, not just pitchers, lick their fingers is to avoid the dry, dust-covered ball from slipping out of the dry, dust-covered hands of the player. IOW, it helps the player to properly control (grip) the ball. None of my comments stated or insinuated that there was an additional, unfair or "illegal" advantage to securing a grip on the ball.