The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

How far into the outfield should the ball go before it's no longer under the IFR...????
I heard one umpire discussing it yesterday and stated that for him "As long as the infield can back up to a reasonable position under the ball, he considers it under the IFR. If an infielder turns his/her back to the ball to get under it, then he doesn't consider it under the IFR...
What do y'all think of that rationale?

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck........

I think that is a good rational..........

If an infielder has time to drift into the shallow outfield(although it could be rather quickly)......the IF could still be called......

I have also been instructed that if an infielder has to turn and sprint (turn his back to the infield) that the play no longer requires ordinary effort........

Sounds like a reasonable break down by this umpire.....

Joel
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
How far into the outfield should the ball go before it's no longer under the IFR...????
I think the rationale, as a rule of thumb, is good.

The direct answer to your question, above, is "where ever in the outfield that in infielder can field the ball with ordinary effort."

If the infielder has turned her back and is trying to catch an over-the-shoulder fly ball, that's not "ordinary effort."

If the infielder just back-pedels a bit for an easy catch, it is ordinary effort, even if it ends up "on the grass."
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Don't know, but then again, I don't care where the ball is as I am judging the infielder's ability to catch the ball with ordinary effort. What may be an IF for one player may not for another.

It is possible for an infielder to turn their back on the ball and still have time to camp underneath. And just because an infielder is not turning his/her back to the infield doesn't necessarily mean s/he can catch the ball with ordinary effort. It just means they didn't turn around.

While they can be used as a precursor to the call, I don't believe it is a rock-solid stick by which to determine a call. Each IF situation is an event in itself and should be ruled based on a predetermined action.