The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

umpire makes the call

SDituation: my daughter hits a softball over the left outfield girl's head and rolls into the girl's soccer field. My daughter has rounded third before the outfielder picks up the ball.
The girl's soccer team is warming up by jogging in their field where the softball end up. The soccer girls stop jogging, get out of the way, and let the outfielder pick up the ball and throw it into the field of play. By this time my daughter has already scored. Why did the ump make her return to third base saying it was interference? Everyone including the other team felt the umpire made the wrong call. There was no fence between the sofball field and the soccer field.

Thanks
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

>>>The soccer girls stop jogging, get out of the way, and let the outfielder pick up the ball and throw it into the field of play.<<<

So the ball was out of the field of play?

We have no idea what the ground rules were and if interference were the call.

Sounds like this should have been a ground rule double, or moe possibly a "nothing", run all you want.
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown
SDituation: my daughter hits a softball over the left outfield girl's head and rolls into the girl's soccer field. My daughter has rounded third before the outfielder picks up the ball.
The girl's soccer team is warming up by jogging in their field where the softball end up. The soccer girls stop jogging, get out of the way, and let the outfielder pick up the ball and throw it into the field of play. By this time my daughter has already scored. Why did the ump make her return to third base saying it was interference? Everyone including the other team felt the umpire made the wrong call. There was no fence between the sofball field and the soccer field.

Thanks
Given just those cirumstances sounds like a home run.
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I cant imagine any situation given in the above scenario that this was the correct call.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If no one touched it, could be almost anything but not interference, or did the umpire think avoiding or seeing the soccer players prevented the fielder from getting to the ball asap?