The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I've been an ASA Slow Pitch-only umpire for the past few years. But this year, I'm probably going to start working high school NFHS games here in Connecticut.

As I am preparing to purchase all of the equipment that I'll need, I am wondering: Do we need to wear an athletic cup when we are working behind the plate during fast pitch? Or does just a supporter alone suffice?

Also, does anyone know where to purchase plate shoes in wide widths?

Thanks much.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Unless one of your goals in life is to permanently become a high-tenor, I would strongly suggest the use of an athletic cup.

Also, do you plan on having children sometime down the road?
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

If you get hit "there" with a fouled off 55 mph not-so soft(ball) will a supporter help?

Honigs has double/triple/quad width shoes.

Welcome to the ranks.

WMB
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I've got two children, and I'm all finished in that department.

I just didn't know if FP umps ever got their bell rung or not. I thought maybe the ball would hit the catcher before it ever got to that part of our body. But I guess the catchers are not always directly in front of us, and no, getting hit with a foul tip would not be fun.

Do foul balls ever hit the ground and rebound upward for a clear shot at the ump?
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot

Do foul balls ever hit the ground and rebound upward for a clear shot at the ump?
Uh....Yes!
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
Thanks. I've got two children, and I'm all finished in that department.

I just didn't know if FP umps ever got their bell rung or not. I thought maybe the ball would hit the catcher before it ever got to that part of our body. But I guess the catchers are not always directly in front of us, and no, getting hit with a foul tip would not be fun.

If you are correctly working the slot, and the catcher is setting up for an outside pitch, the only protection that you have is what you are wearing.

My rule of thumb is to wear all of the gear all of the time, no matter what age...etc. It just isn't doing me any good sitting in my equipment bag. Heck, I used to wear a cup when I did call SP, you know, just in case. (Better safe than sorry.)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

New FP umpire - equipment questions

It's gotten to the point that I'm wearing a cup while watching sports on TV.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Look at it like a Postal Carrier while at work: Protect your "mail-bag"
Honig's is a fine supplier of umpire shoes and equipment.
Sam
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

On the links page of the Softball Umpires web page is a selection of umpire equipment on-line dealers. The only endorsement the list implies is that at least one of our online umpiring community had at least one good experience in buying equipment at each of those. Beyond that, caveat emptor.

I can, by personal experience, though, vouch for Honigs, ASA Properties, Lester's, and Ump Attire.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I might as well chime in before someone else does. You are NEVER going to get hit ANYWHERE with a foul tip. Foul ball maybe but not a foul tip. Dave
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: New FP umpire - equipment questions

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelVA2000
It's gotten to the point that I'm wearing a cup while watching sports on TV.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

LOL There are to many ways to get hit.I had a ball skip past acatcher in a District finals game last year.The problem? My cup had shifted slightly and the ball found the one exposed part of my body.
To make things REAL interesting R3 was breaking for home on the passed ball I'm trying to breathe and make the call all at once. Got the call right and then got to listen to the local radio station that was brodcasting the game describe me getting hit! Broadcasters found it funny describing a low blow.LOL
Point to this is always wear all your equipment and make sure it's in the RIGHT place!
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Believe it or not we have an older veteren ump that NEVER wears a cup. He's either extremely tough or extremely dumb, jury is still out!!!!!!!
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I do both baseball and softball. The absolute worst "cup shot" I've ever taken was in a 16U softball game.

Pitcher was throwing in the upper-50's. Low inside pitch caught the edge of the plate, went past the catcher untouched and came straight up and under into the "narrow end" of my cup. Essentially, the ball drove the end of the cup upwards right into the most sensitive part of my anatomy.

I folded like a tent and things went black for a minute.

As bad as that was, I remember lying there thinking, "If I didn't have a cup I'd probably be dead now!".

When I first started umpiring, as a volunteer in a local league, I didn't wear a cup. A few close calls made be rethink that decision.

The first year I wore a cup. I took three hard shots off of it. Two were in softball and one was in baseball. Good thing I wised-up before it was too late!
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I get hit there or close enough to grab my attention once or twice a year... I never go without a cup never.. I think I'd call from behind the pitcher before I did.