The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Maybe I'm too critical or maybe the angle from the TV is wrong, but does the Tennessee pitcher, Abbott, pick her pivot foot all the way off the rubber and replant it after coming set sometimes? It's not all the time, but I'm almost positive that it comes off the ground, before she begins the rest of her motion and after coming set. Is this something legal in college, or just something that is taught to ignore?
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I believe Steve Arnold called her on that early in the game I believe it was in their first game. I watched after that and she was maintaining contact with the pitchers plate.

The 1st Alabama pitcher in the Tennesee game last night seemed to land her stride foot outside the 24" to the left. I don't think I've seen that called anywhere.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
I believe Steve Arnold called her on that early in the game I believe it was in their first game. I watched after that and she was maintaining contact with the pitchers plate.

The 1st Alabama pitcher in the Tennesee game last night seemed to land her stride foot outside the 24" to the left. I don't think I've seen that called anywhere.
Yeah, after I posted this, she was called for it again in the Michigan game on the 2nd pitch I think. She stopped after that.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

That routine that she has is something else. I could almost go for a smoke in between pitches if I was on the dish. One of the announcers said that she (Abbott) has been working with a TU sports psychologist, and that they had come up with this routine of cleaning the rubber, leaning over, etc. It did look like she was close to picking up the foot and putting it back down (on the rubber) as she slides it. I did not see the re-plant, or crow hop that she apparently was called for early in the game, but I have less concern if she replants on the rubber, than if she replants in front of it.