The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
What kind of Umpire Equipment do you have (i.e., Chest protector, mask, shin guards). What is the lightest out there? I have seen that the lightest out there is a B22000 from +pos, the Gerry Davis one or the Schutt wrap around one?

The best package on that I've seen was from Gerry Davis website. Can anybody else find a good deal?

Thanks,
Ed
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

I'm using the Honig's K2 (Honig's)for the first time this year.

Before that, I used an inexpensive protector similar to this (without the separate arm pads)
that I bought from our local umpire equipment store for around $35 if memory serves. (Web site: Smitteez Sports)

I haven't decided if I like the K2 yet. It is very light, very cool to wear. The thing that makes me withhold judgment is there is no protection below the sternum. So far, that hasn't been a problem, but there is a lot of season left.

For leg protectors, I strongly recomment knee cap protection. I use a set of guards with the Cooper brand I bought several years ago. Here is a pic of a similar style:

(In fact, except for the brand, these look identical.) I like them alot - cool, comfortable, excellent protection.

For my daughter, I bought her these

because they were available in a shorter size. They look to be an excellent product. (web site: Lester's Upstate Sports)
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Tom,

Buy DD a new set of plate shoes in a 10EEE and ship'em
to me....J/K

Decided on the new K80W, got them today while I was away
fishing. My DD said send her the bill....I will....
No, these are on me.

BTW Tom,
I have been using K2 for several years, no problem and it
is really nice in this Texas heat.

Oh yeah, come to he AFA Nationals this year. We always
have a equipment man their and he will add the sternum
protection to the K2 for you.

[Edited by whiskers_ump on Apr 27th, 2004 at 08:52 PM]
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
We always have an equipment man there and he will add the sternum protection to the K2 for you.
Is this for real, or are you just kidding around?
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

For real....This guy repairs gloves, speical makes gloves.
For minor repairs to umpire equipment, he charges nothing.
The sternum addition would cost, but not sure how much....

--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Leg Guards I use:

BB316 - LEG GUARDS, Super-Pro Model $116.95

New design for ultimate in protection. U.S. Patent #4,888,826. Features double floating knee plates. New design kneecap protection. Strategic strap location for proper fit. All component part removable for cleaning or replacement.

Chest Protector I use:

WVP - WEST VEST PLATINUM CHEST PROTECTOR $159.95

Mask (for softball) I use:

POS super lite bought it a few years ago for about $130. I don't think it's available anymore.

Mask (for baseball)I use:

ASM20 - ALL STAR KEVLAR/TITANIUM HELMET $399.95
The Best: Kevlar Helmet & Titanium Cage

I would use the helmet for softball also but our UIC doesn't want umpires on the field without a hat.

Michael

[Edited by MichaelVA2000 on Apr 29th, 2004 at 03:22 PM]
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Chest protector - Honigs Elite, not sure of model #, foam cell ribbed style, bought couple years ago for less than a C note ($65 - $70?).

Tonight it was worth a hundred times the price. Varsity lefty, throwing in low sixties, hard one on the inside corner barely ticked by batter, just enough to rise over the catcher's glove into the middle of my chest.

I knew that I got hit; the whole park knew I got hit. I am standing there thinking "Am I dead? Unconscious?" The chest protector absorbed the entire shock of the ball and I didn't feel a thing!

That is the first time ever that I have been hit over the heart. When I read about or see umpires that will not wear the equipment, it give me the shivers. What I got tonight is the type of shock that could put you in a horizontal position forever. But I never felt it.

WMB
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
Chest protector - Honigs Elite, not sure of model #, foam cell ribbed style, bought couple years ago for less than a C note ($65 - $70?).

Tonight it was worth a hundred times the price. Varsity lefty, throwing in low sixties, hard one on the inside corner barely ticked by batter, just enough to rise over the catcher's glove into the middle of my chest.

I knew that I got hit; the whole park knew I got hit. I am standing there thinking "Am I dead? Unconscious?" The chest protector absorbed the entire shock of the ball and I didn't feel a thing!

That is the first time ever that I have been hit over the heart. When I read about or see umpires that will not wear the equipment, it give me the shivers. What I got tonight is the type of shock that could put you in a horizontal position forever. But I never felt it.

WMB
I too use the Honig's, and love it. It really absorbs the shock of the pitch, foul ball, or occasional bat (10U)

Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

So from what everybody is saying is that it is worth the money to invest in the expensive equipment. Cause it will pay for itself in the end. Right.

I am going to purchase a Diamond Equipment Package ( Diamondy Face Mask, Chest protector, leg guards ) for $149.95

Is that okay. or I can I get better.

Thanks,
Ed
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I've never been a "package" kind of guy - I want to pick and choose too much.

In terms of where to spend your bucks, make sure your chest protector has good collar-bone protection and good heart protection. The cheap protector I started with handled just about everything over the years. I only bought the K2 for comfort. Make sure your leg guards have knee-cap protection. Make sure your mask has throat protection. Make sure you have good plate shoes, and that either the leg guards or the plate shoes protect your instep area.

Above that, you are paying for comfort, light weight, etc.

If you get into higher level fastpitch (e.g. men's and women's instead of girls) or baseball, you will want a more "armored" chest protector.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

The packages also tend to be the low end of the spectrum. Ask yourself how long you plan to be in the umpiring business. If you think, at this point, that you plan to do it for a long while, then you may want to get a little more top of the line equipment. If, at this point, you aren't sure, then you may want to get the package, and upgrade later if you find that you want to stay in it. The package masks tend to be heavy, and the chest protectors are the bare minimum.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
So from what everybody is saying is that it is worth the money to invest in the expensive equipment. Cause it will pay for itself in the end. Right.

I am going to purchase a Diamond Equipment Package ( Diamondy Face Mask, Chest protector, leg guards ) for $149.95

Is that okay. or I can I get better.
For just a little more money, you could get the Wilson DynaLite mask (about $60.00), a Cooper or All Star mesh chest protector, which are both cool and offer more than adequate protection (again, about $60.00), and something like the Schutt shinguards ($50.00). Not much more money, but a lot more comfort and protection.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

thanks guys I now know what to do. Like you guys said It is how long I will be doing this. I will make the right investment. And I will let you guys know.

1 question thought. The K2 chest protector is it also good for the both baseball and softball.

Thanks,
Ed
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
thanks guys I now know what to do. Like you guys said It is how long I will be doing this. I will make the right investment. And I will let you guys know.

1 question thought. The K2 chest protector is it also good for the both baseball and softball.

Thanks,
Ed
Ed,

I would not think so. You would need a little more protection
when doing baseball, I would think.
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

For baseball in the teen ages and above, you will need more protection in the chest than the K2 provides.