The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Softball/ASA Substitution rules (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/12307-softball-asa-substitution-rules.html)

Palmer Tue Feb 17, 2004 03:33am

I am a new 12U travel coach with several questions concerning ASA substitution rules/ using the DEFO, etc. It seems that in several tournament we have been in, other coaches have a little more savy in changing their players around, than I. If someone could give me a quick study for dummies guide on using the DEFO effectively, I would appreciate it. Also if you have a substitute player on the bench, in a tournament can she run for anyone, not just the pitcher or catcher, also once coming into the game, can she only run for that girl, or next inning can she run for a different girl ???, Or is she tied to that player. If anyone could give me some help, advise I would be most appreciative.......Thanks

Dakota Tue Feb 17, 2004 09:53am

Welcome to the board, Palmer! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung...smiley-069.gif

Wow! Lotsa stuff to cover.

I'll start with the easy one. (BTW, you say 12U; I'm assuming fastpitch).

Quote:

. Also if you have a substitute player on the bench, in a tournament can she run for anyone, not just the pitcher or catcher, also once coming into the game, can she only run for that girl, or next inning can she run for a different girl ???, Or is she tied to that player.
Let's split this into two questions: 1) Courtesy runner, and 2) Pinch runner. They are different, and treated differently in the rules.

1) Courtesy runner... A courtesy runner is a runner who runs for another player without it being a charged substitution. (ASA Rule 1 DEFINITIONS).

A courtesy runner may be used for the pitcher or catcher only (ASA Rule 8-10A).

A courtesy runner may be any eligible substitute who has not been in the game (8-10C).

The courtesy runner for the pitcher may not be the CR for the catcher (and vice versa). Note: this is position, not person. If you sub for a new pitcher, the same CR for the old pitcher may be the CR for the new pitcher. If you move your catcher in to pitch, the CR for the catcher may NOT become the CR for the pitcher (8-10A).

A courtesy runner is not a charged substitute, so she is eligible to be used as a sub for any other player in a later inning (but not in the same inning she ran as a CR - exception: injury / DQ and she is the last sub available) (DEFINITIONS and 8-10D).

The DP may not have a CR, even if the DP is batting for the pitcher or catcher.

The "pitcher" and the "catcher" who may have a CR is the last player to play those positions in the last half inning (exception: first half of 1st inning - they are the players listed on the lineup card in the F1 and F2 positions). IOW, you may not have a CR for the pitcher or catcher you intend to enter in the next half inning (8-10B).

2) Pinch runner...The ASA rules do not specifically recognize the "pinch runner" by name, but it is just an ordinary substitution. You may use any eligible substitute as a pinch runner. Once you substitute any player on offense (including pinch runner), that sub may only bat / run in that position in the batting order (ASA 4-5C). Again, this is batting-order position, not person.

Regarding DP/DEFO, the name has been changed in 2004 to DP/Flex. I would recommend that you become completely comfortable with the standard subsitution rules first. Then, moving into DP/Flex will be much easier.

Dakota Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:00am

BTW, if you are ready and want to do some reading about DP/Flex, check out the handout section on this web site:

Gulf Coast Blue's Site

There are two handouts there on DP/DEFO. Just remember to change the acronym DEFO to Flex, and everything still applies.

CecilOne Tue Feb 17, 2004 01:04pm

Welcome a"board", Palmer. And, by the masterful and energetic response you received from one of our best resources, you now know why this is useful.

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Tue Feb 17, 2004 01:55pm

The DP/Flex was discussed recently and is summed up pretty good <a href="http://www.officialforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=12068&pagenumber=2">about halfway down this page</a> and welcome to the board-wish MORE coaches would ask questions like you!

IRISHMAFIA Tue Feb 17, 2004 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
Welcome to the board, Palmer! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung...smiley-069.gif

1) Courtesy runner... A courtesy runner is a runner who runs for another player without it being a charged substitution. (ASA Rule 1 DEFINITIONS).

A courtesy runner may be used for the pitcher or catcher only (ASA Rule 8-10A).

A courtesy runner may be any eligible substitute who has not been in the game (8-10C).

The courtesy runner for the pitcher may not be the CR for the catcher (and vice versa). Note: this is position, not person. If you sub for a new pitcher, the same CR for the old pitcher may be the CR for the new pitcher. If you move your catcher in to pitch, the CR for the catcher may NOT become the CR for the pitcher (8-10A).

A courtesy runner is not a charged substitute, so she is eligible to be used as a sub for any other player in a later inning (but not in the same inning she ran as a CR - exception: injury / DQ and she is the last sub available) (DEFINITIONS and 8-10D).

Just an additional note on the CR. Even though it is not a substitution, the CR is still required to report to the umpire or risk disqualification for that game if discovered n the game after the next pitch, legal or illegal, or a play.

Palmer Tue Feb 17, 2004 02:54pm

I just recently found this sight,and the first question I asked was answered in depth. Dakota, thank you very much for your fast response and the considerable information you supplied to me. It was in great detail, and I know it will be most helpful for me and my team.

P.S. Excellent sight, I have picked up alot of useful information reading through the posted materials.

Respectfully

Palmer

IRISHMAFIA Sun Nov 27, 2011 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TareaspefeNef (Post 800303)

Yep, my turn to get the Greek.

Tex Mon Nov 28, 2011 07:19pm

Dakota,
Your link to "Gulf Coast Blue's site" does not work.

Gulf Coast Blue Tue Nov 29, 2011 04:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 800497)
Dakota,
Your link to "Gulf Coast Blue's site" does not work.

I did not update it often enough and eteamz scrubbed it.....:o

Plus......the OP is over seven years old.

Joel