The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Look At Your Partner(s)!!!!!!

Working in a local HS tourney this week. Second half had an interesting but unfortunate play. First time I've worked with this parnter. He seems very good, we just haven't worked together before. It's the dual system. About 10 minutes left in second half. Two very strong, fast, physcial teams. Visiting team mounts a fast counterattack and sends the ball in to the 6. They are offside. A player heads the ball into the goal. I blow the whistle, signal offside, and hold my arm up for an indirect kick. Both teams hear the whistle but don't look over at me or see my signal or see me standing there. My partner doesn't look at me either. I stop my watch after 15 seconds because I can't get my partner's attention. I give a blast on the whistle to try to get his attention. Both teams think it's a restart so I have to hit the whistle several times. I go over, signal no goal, and tell him what we have. Now we have to tell the coaches. Home is elated and visitors are not. The only people who were watching the signal were the fans on the sideline. It's funny, the two things we talked about in the pre-game were keeping them boxed in between us and always looking at each other. The one time we really needed to, we didn't. The moral of this story: ALWAYS LOOK AT YOUR PARTNER AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT HE HAS SIGNALED!
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Right, as trail your partner should definitely be checking you on an apparent goal. Looks like you did your part to get their attention.
I would have shouted "NO GOAL, NO GOAL, NO GOAL" repeatedly then blown the whistle repeatedly with multiple wave-off signals and hopefully get the keeper to hold the ball. The problem is the whistle is blown for goals, the offside signal is not useful until we get everyone's attention and the IFK signal is similar to the clock stop signal.
Presumably, the timer or your partner stopped the clock on the apparent goal, so at least no playing time was lost.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

In an NFHS match.
The IFK signal is one open hand held up straight.
The stop clock signal is both hands open and crossed at the wrist above the head.
The Goal signal is, Whistle, Stop Clock signal, Point to center circle.

I do not see how these signals can be confused.

In pregame for a "dual referee" game. I attempt to get an agreement that we will make eye contact on every ball out of play situation. If my partner does not look at me on the fist couple of opportunities, at the next ball out of play, I will call out "hey partner" when s/he finally looks at me, I point to my eyes with a big smile. Most of the time the rest of the game I get the eye contact and return a smile or thumbs up.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

ref2coach,
You're right. You can't get them confused. You also can't see them if you don't look at your partner.... which my guy didn't do! Same guy also stops the clock and comes over to me in another game a few days later. He asked about a call 3 yards right in front of me. He blows the whistle, trots over from about 50 - 60 yards away and asks, "Are you sure you have that call? From my view we had a foul on white." I said, "That's because from where you were you could not see the two hands full of white jersey that the blue player had that made the white player fall down on her!"
Some guys just need to look at their partners and stay out of their area when 60 yards away.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach
In an NFHS match.
The IFK signal is one open hand held up straight.
The stop clock signal is both hands open and crossed at the wrist above the head.
The Goal signal is, Whistle, Stop Clock signal, Point to center circle.

I do not see how these signals can be confused.
I know what the signals are.
I was referring to the fact that both IFK and stop clock are upward at arms-length and many people, especially those that infrequently work NFHS games don't always make them clear or long enough to be seen clearly. I said nothing about the goal signals.