The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaabbref
It really favored the "up and under" move that the women use quite a bit that the fans always scream "walk" when i see it. But I think that he pushed off the right, stepped with the left and shot.....I am presently listening to the idiotic announcers on ESPN act like they are experts. once again, "ugly"="travel" in the minds of the uneducated, especially Doug Gottleib. That little snot nose pretty boy doesn't know crap....
This is, of course, the downside of technology. We now have the capability to slow down, freeze, and replay forever and find a reason to overturn a call or bash an official. And officials are just as hard on other officials as fans are.

Case in point was the Oden foul in the Xavier game. None of the game announcers, sportswriters, or the Xavier coach made much more of the foul than what it was, a foul. Yet officials on this forum wanted an intentional foul called based, solely, on replays and youtube video.

No call or decision by an official can be judged in a vacuum. Instant replay in football does no one any good if the play has to be viewed ad nauseum until a decision can be reached. It serves only to slow the game down.

Whether there was travelling or not by Georgetown is a non issue since no official at the highest level of the NCAA would make that call based on a real time view. It is only controversial when it is slowed down and even then you have a debate.

As officials we need to advocate and educate the media on not only the rules but how we apply them, i/e what constitutes a block/charge call in basketball, what kind of tag in baseball always means an out, how is interference in football judged...etc.

CBS's example of the Georgetown travel was unfair to the crew working the game.....we need to make sure that kind of distortion is avoided in the future
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
I thought it was a travel when I first saw it. On the replay i thought it was also, I would like to see it again though. Even if it was, in that situation would you call it? Just a thought...
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
I thought it was a travel when I first saw it. On the replay i thought it was also, I would like to see it again though. Even if it was, in that situation would you call it? Just a thought...
I taped the game because the Hoyas were playing. I have gone back and watched the play several times. Here are the facts:

1. Green loses the ball on the play so there is no pivot foot that matters until he recovers the ball.

2. Once he recovers the ball, he steps with his LEFT foot, thus his RIGHT foot is his pivot.

3. He now does a reverse pivot with his back to the basket by stepping with his left foot. He finishes the move by lifting his right foot, spinning towards the end line on his left foot, and without ever touching his right foot to the floor jumping off his left foot into the air and making a one-handed shot.

Since the pivot foot was lifted, but not returned to the floor before the ball was released on a try, there was no traveling violation. Good basket, the announcers know nothing, and Georgetown wins!

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 02:39am.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
If your's is the same play that I recall, I thought he may have lifted his pivot before he released the ball for his dribble.
That may be true. That was way up top near the three point line after he first received the pass. He slid his right foot a bit and then may have picked it up slightly before the dribble was released. It was close and is not a call that is made with that kind of precision the vast majority of the time.
So passing on that call is no big deal. Of course, that part of the play is not what all the announcers are talking about.

The part AFTER he lost the ball momentarily and then regained it is what is being deemed a travel. They are wrong.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

CBS is just pissed that there are no "Cinderellas" left.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
That may be true. That was way up top near the three point line after he first received the pass. He slid his right foot a bit and then may have picked it up slightly before the dribble was released. It was close and is not a call that is made with that kind of precision the vast majority of the time.
So passing on that call is no big deal. Of course, that part of the play is not what all the announcers are talking about.

The part AFTER he lost the ball momentarily and then regained it is what is being deemed a travel. They are wrong.
That's what I saw,only on the replay I might add. No way would that ever be called in that situation. It was really miniscule.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano

As officials we need to advocate and educate the media on not only the rules but how we apply them, i/e what constitutes a block/charge call in basketball, what kind of tag in baseball always means an out, how is interference in football judged...etc.
Wouldn't it be easier (and more gratifying) to just round them up and beat them with clubs?

This reminds me of a saying I heard this weekend. "The greatest instinct of man is to impart knowledge. The second greatest is to resist it."

I think what you are advocating would prove this true.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even if it was, in that situation would you call it? Just a thought...
Absolutely would.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 08:58am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Back to the rule book then back to as many games - to see plays - as possible. You should make the call if it is there, but you have to know if it is there first.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano

Case in point was the Oden foul in the Xavier game. None of the game announcers, sportswriters, or the Xavier coach made much more of the foul than what it was, a foul. Yet officials on this forum wanted an intentional foul called based, solely, on replays and youtube video.

Not entirely true. I started the post immediately after he shoved the guy out of bounds and said that I probably would have called an intentional. I didn't watch a replay or Youtube before I posted. I never bashed the officials. However, I understand what you are saying--I wasn't where the official was...maybe he was straight-lined and didn't see it take place. Maybe he was looking elsewhere. Who knows? It was a quick play.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Travel

I love GT & it was a travel! It was a travel if he was playing in the NBA! Patrick Ewing didn't walk that much when he played with the Knicks.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 09:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Why did he travel coach? What did he do that was a travel? Do not just tell us he traveled, tell us why?

Peace
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Yes, I think that's what they are b1tching about.

When I saw the first replay from the L my immediate thought was he obviously travelled. Then they showed it from the other side and I saw he fumbled the ball as he shifted his feet. Great no call IMO. I didn't see anything else that was close to a travel in that sequence.

And then 10 minutes later the announcers concocted this 'contraversy' and we were off.

Stupid monkeys.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Jinx
I love GT & it was a travel! It was a travel if he was playing in the NBA! Patrick Ewing didn't walk that much when he played with the Knicks.
Thanks for that input. As a true coach has now told us, it's a travel if it looks like a travel.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
I taped the game because the Hoyas were playing. I have gone back and watched the play several times. Here are the facts:

1. Green loses the ball on the play so there is no pivot foot that matters until he recovers the ball.

2. Once he recovers the ball, he steps with his LEFT foot, thus his RIGHT foot is his pivot.

3. He now does a reverse pivot with his back to the basket by stepping with his left foot. He finishes the move by lifting his right foot, spinning towards the end line on his left foot, and without ever touching his right foot to the floor jumping off his left foot into the air and making a one-handed shot.

Since the pivot foot was lifted, but not returned to the floor before the ball was released on a try, there was no traveling violation. Good basket, the announcers know nothing, and Georgetown wins!

So by they way you said no Travel. Thanks for clearing that up. I remember him losing control. Then I played it back in my head that the move he did, never allowed him to split the two guys around him. So I was like ok if he switched pivots we would have seen him split the two guys etc...