Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 10, 2001, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Illegal numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
When was the last time you arived at the gym and noticed that one team had numerous numbers with digits over 5? A quick look and you begin to suspect the team is simply thrilled that someone provided some jerseys. (Granted, this is not a HS varsity game.) The numbers look fine to me!

A couple of weeks ago I arrived for a 7/8 grade doubleheader. The home coach explained that he had a problem; the visiting school only had one team. He wanted to combine his 7th and 8th grade girls so that all could play, but that would mean duplicate numbers. I asked him to swap jerseys or whatever to give us a 22-blond and 22-brunette or whatever. (Turns out he had to keep the book while coaching and saw for himself every foul but one or two. Usually before we could report he had already recorded a foul on "Susan" or whomever.)

It really is a game.
Yeah, at some of these "lower level" games the kids are
happy to have any uniform. One game the pint sized point
guard had shorts on that were like 3 sizes too big and
of course the drawstring didn't work. I had to tell him
to hike his pants up after I noticed he was tugging them
down even further to get that "look" we all love. Finally
during a dead ball I told the coach next time I see his
pants below his waist the kid's gonna sit. The coach said to
me "come on, you can see how big his shorts are" but as the
kid is walking away from us he's tugging his pants down
again. I just pointed to the kid and said "Yeah, sure
coach". We both chuckled and the coach pulled the kid out.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2001, 04:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Illegal numbers

Quote:
When was the last time you arived at the gym and noticed that one team had numerous numbers with digits over 5?
One rec league I do has players who have attended tryout camps. It's not unusual for them to wear their jerseys from those camps. Sometimes you have number 97 foul number 126.

That's fun.

In the rec league for which I am on the Board, we require the kids to wear all "legal" numbers and have the numbers on front and back. Of course, we order all the jerseys ourselves. In the past three years, we have gone to reversible jerseys, even though they cost a little more. Prior to that, we used T-shirts. When you have 12 teams in the same grade division, you run out of usable T-shirt colors really fast. For years, I had to do games with Navy Blue vs. Black, or White vs. Light Gray. Of course, none of the boys teams wanted Pink.

One year, we used "pinneys" with numbers if the shirt colors were too close, but the kids really didn't like them and kept getting tangled up in them.

Here's a question for OZ - in FEEBLE, do you use metric jersey numbers?
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Illegal numbers

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[B]
Quote:
When was the last time you arived at the gym and noticed that one team had numerous numbers with digits over 5?
One rec league I do has players who have attended tryout camps. It's not unusual for them to wear their jerseys from those camps. Sometimes you have number 97 foul number 126.

That's fun.

In the rec league for which I am on the Board, we require the kids to wear all "legal" numbers and have the numbers on front and back. Of course, we order all the jerseys ourselves. In the past three years, we have gone to reversible jerseys, even though they cost a little more. Prior to that, we used T-shirts. When you have 12 teams in the same grade division, you run out of usable T-shirt colors really fast. For years, I had to do games with Navy Blue vs. Black, or White vs. Light Gray. Of course, none of the boys teams wanted Pink.

Mark,

Back in the day (about 12 years ago), I played on a men's team with several of my buddies. We chose to wear pink t-shirts as our uniform. We wanted to lull the opponents into a false sense of confidence. We got several snickers during warmups but we won the league.

By the way, all of the starters (including me) were left handed. That usually messed with their minds more than the color of the shirts
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Talking Are they Numbered jerseys or Jerseys with numbers...

Gee, I think that the players (and uninformed coach) really need to know the "letter of the law". Why is one number "legal" and another "illegal"?

Where is Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. to "weigh-in" on this subject?

Now, the serious response....
When you have schools laying off teachers and other staff, due to budget constraints, it is necessary to be understanding (lenient) about the uniform "violations". As it was stated earlier. It's just a game.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Illegal numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Well Mark, yes we do. FEEBLE only allows singlet numbers (a jersey is a jumper!) from 4 to 15 (inclusive).

Any other questions

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 01:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Re: Re: Re: Illegal numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Quote:
Well Mark, yes we do. FEEBLE only allows singlet numbers (a jersey is a jumper!) from 4 to 15 (inclusive).

Any other questions
Yeah Duane, what's a "gaol". You mentioned it in one of your other posts. BTW - don't you guys have a "Z" in your alphabet? I know some other former British colonies (other than us, that is) have "strange" alphabets (I consider anything that deviates from what we do here "strange" ).

For instance, the Canadian alphabet has 52, not 26 letters. A, A, B, A, C, A, D, A, etc.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 02:10pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegal numbers

Quote:
For instance, the Canadian alphabet has 52, not 26 letters. A, A, B, A, C, A, D, A, etc.
I get it, ay?
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegal numbers

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any other questions
Yeah Duane, what's a "gaol". You mentioned it in one of your other posts. BTW - don't you guys have a "Z" in your alphabet? I know some other former British colonies (other than us, that is) have "strange" alphabets (I consider anything that deviates from what we do here "strange" ).

Mark, I threw in "gaol" just to confuse you Yanks. It is the "proper" English spelling of jail - although the majority of Australians use jail these days. To be honest, words like jail, realize and color are often being spelt the American way as opposed to gaol, realise and colour. Even at university I was told either was fine, as long as we were consistent.

On a totally different subject - what is the atmosphere in America like regarding the recent military action in Afghanistan? Although we are somewhat removed from events here "Down Under" there has been quite a bit of debate recently as to what is being done, and whether it is the best way to handle things.

Anyway, time for bed for me - I've just worked a 12 hour grave-yard shift and I'm knackered.

Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 05:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegal numbers

Quote:

On a totally different subject - what is the atmosphere in America like regarding the recent military action in Afghanistan? Although we are somewhat removed from events here "Down Under" there has been quite a bit of debate recently as to what is being done, and whether it is the best way to handle things.

Anyway, time for bed for me - I've just worked a 12 hour grave-yard shift and I'm knackered.
Duane - I don't want to start threads on this subject on this board - there are plenty of discussion boards out there that allow for a much more in-depth dialogue. Just to make a brief observation, however - if you follow the US news media, you probably will see coverage of many peace demonstrators and may think that view is representative of the majority of Americans. It is not. The majority are not causing news and are not getting coverage.

Certainly, I can give you my personal views, insights and observations if you want to email me directly. But let's try to keep this board focused on basketball. I know we got a little off track on the flag patch issue, but at least that was directly related to our role as an official.

BTW - what the heck is "knackered?" I assume it is a slang term for "exhausted." Over here, we might say "bushed", "dead" or "wiped."
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Mark,
That's a pretty "FEEBLE" but probably correct response.
Pistol
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegal numbers

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any other questions

Mark, I threw in "gaol" just to confuse you Yanks. It is the "proper" English spelling of jail - although the majority of Australians use jail these days. To be honest, words like jail, realize and color are often being spelt the American way as opposed to gaol, realise and colour. Even at university I was told either was fine, as long as we were consistent.

I saw Mark's post on this and I'll echo:

-the overwhelming majority opinion here is we are handling
this in the best possible way. I think Tony Blair put it
best when he said they killed 6,000 but they would have been
just as happy to kill 60,000 or 600,000. Many reasonable
voices are saying the only solution is to just kill all
those who sympathize with the evil that perverts
Islam. Might seem extreme, but think about what has really
happened and it's not far-fetched to envision them going
after our Aussie friends eventually. Feel free to contact
me privately to continue the discussion.

-what the heck is a "knackered"?
Old Fri Oct 12, 2001, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Talking Mission Acomplished!

Mark (and others)

I feel that I must advise you (and all other seppos) that I have taken it upon myself to educate you all. Henceforth, I will attempt to introduce one piece of non-American slang or spelling in each post. Maybe there should be a prize to the first Yank to guess the correct meaning?

Kanckered - literally what they do to male animals when desexing them (ie castrate). Also commonly used when talking about broken down horses, I believe the processing plants for dead horses was once known as the Knackery (not sure of spelling). Some Aussie synonyms would be: buggered, stuffed or FUBAR'd (I know this is an Americanism but it is commonly used).

Here endeth the sermon

Old Fri Oct 12, 2001, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Not about basketball, but. . .

Quote:

Kanckered - literally what they do to male animals when desexing them (ie castrate). Also commonly used when talking about broken down horses, I believe the processing plants for dead horses was once known as the Knackery (not sure of spelling).
Like most of the Americans who frequent this board, "knackered" was a new word to me when OZ first used it. But in the last couple of days, I've sort of laughed about how odd it is and read OZ's definition this morning.

Then, in one of those absolutely bizarre coincidences that make life so interesting, I picked up an old copy of "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. I've never read the book, but I had a copy sitting on my bookshelves; a leftover from my father's high school days. I started reading just to see what it was like and came across a speech given by a pig, complaining about the fate that awaits even the most productive farm animal. Speaking to the strongest horse on the farm, he says:

"the very day that those great muscles of yours lose their power, Jones [the farmer] will sell you to the knacker, who will cut your throat and boil you down for the foxhounds".

How wierd is that? Never heard the word in 35 years. Then somebody tells me what it means, and it appears in the very first book that I read after hearing the definition. I know this has nothing to do with basketball, but it was too cool not to share. Of course, I don't get out much, so you might not agree with my sense of "cool".

Chuck
Old Fri Oct 12, 2001, 10:40am
In Memoriam

Re: Not about basketball, but. . . quite cool

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[B]

...I picked up an old copy of "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. I've never read the book, but I had a copy sitting on my bookshelves..../B]
Chuck,
Good story. Neat coincidence!
I picked up "Animal Farm" for the first time at age 48 +/- and totally enjoyed it.
I think I did the Cliff notes thingy the first time.
But, I don't remember the Knacker.
mick
Old Fri Oct 12, 2001, 11:05am
certified Hot Mom tester

I first read Animal Farm in HS. Of course, HS was much easier in those days; there were fewer states to memorize, all you had to know about geography is that the world was broken up into either British or Spanish colonies, most science hadn't been invented yet, etc.

And, oh, yeah - I had to walk 10 miles to school everyday in the snow - backwards!

Seriously, I enjoy the differences in English slang and customs among the English speaking nations (since I don't speak hardly any other languages, I don't have the same knowledge base of other countries). Living in the Pacific Northwest as I do, I frequently get up to Canada. Besides calling elevators "lifts" and having a different floor numbering system in buildings, my favorite part is being able to legally buy aspirin with codiene over the counter

I think these pills are called "2, 2, 2s". They sure help after a weekend of 8 rec games.