The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

You've come a long way, baby

Sorry for using the old Virginia Slims slogan, I'm getting senile.

I searched for this, but I didn't see any mention of it. I was watching a re-run of the Florida Boys Class 5A final on one of the Fox channels, and I saw an all-female crew working the game. According to the FHSAA, this was a first in their history.

In NY, I haven't seen even one woman working boys playoff games.

FHSAA press release is at: http://www.fhsaa.org/news/2006/0303a.htm

Kudos to Florida for being in the 21st century.

Any other states have a 3-woman crew working a state championship for boys?
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

That's great! There are too many ignorant people out there that don't think this should happen.

The following was from a high school forum. I usually don't respond to idiots like this but I couldn't help myself with this one.

A technical foul was called on their star player after a player control foul called on him. It was the players 4th & 5th foul. Both calls were good calls (I was 20 feet from the play in the stands) and made by the crew chief of the game (who was also the site crew chief of this round in the state tournament).

Quote:
His Post:

As for (A1) arguing with the ref, he didn't say a word to her,he just showed some facial emotions, she blew the Tech because she was all caught up in the emotion and if you noticed, she only blew her whistle 1 more time the whole game after that.

My reply:

She called a technical because he deserved it! He was demonstrative after the foul called on him and he was correctly assessed a technical foul. You are 100% wrong that she only blew her whistle 1 more time the rest of the game.

His Post:

That is why women should do women's games and men do men's games. Bottom line. Quit worrying about being equally right and just get the right people in the right place for the games!!!

My reply:

Wow, this is the most ignorant and sexist statement I have seen in a while. Do you think that Violet Palmer is officiating in the NBA because they want to be equal? NO! They want the best officials in the game. Don't get upset that a woman official had the guts to give (A1) his 5th foul with a well deserved technical foul. There are many male (and female) officials that wouldn't of had the guts to make that call.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Sorry for using the old Virginia Slims slogan, I'm getting senile.

I searched for this, but I didn't see any mention of it. I was watching a re-run of the Florida Boys Class 5A final on one of the Fox channels, and I saw an all-female crew working the game. According to the FHSAA, this was a first in their history.

In NY, I haven't seen even one woman working boys playoff games.

FHSAA press release is at: http://www.fhsaa.org/news/2006/0303a.htm

Kudos to Florida for being in the 21st century.

Any other states have a 3-woman crew working a state championship for boys?

If those were the three most qualified officials for the contest, by whatever rating system the fhsaa uses, then I have no issue with them working that game. However, if this was done for publicity, to make a statement, or simply because it hadn't been done down there before, then that is not right.

I say put the best three people on the court no matter who they are.