The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rules:

A1 has the ball OB for a sidline throw in. During the throw in, A1 has the ball on the inbounds side of the boundary plane. B1 in his attempt to dislodge the ball, fouls A1 on the arm.
I know by rule if B1 reached through the boundray plane and fouled A1, it would be an intentional personal foul. In the situation above, the foul happens on the inbound side of the boundary plane. Would you call a common foul or stay with the intentional personal?
If you have a rule # or casebook play please cite the rule .

Thanks,

Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't have my rulebook handy, but I'm 98% sure that it would be a common foul. I think the rule states something like "contacting the thrower-in on the OOB side of the throw-in plane".
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't have my rulebook handy, but I'm 98% sure that it would be a common foul. I think the rule states something like "contacting the thrower-in on the OOB side of the throw-in plane".
Right. 9-2-11, Penalty 4, "If an opponent(s) of the thrower REACHES THROUGH THE THROW-IN BOUNDARY-LINE PLANE and fouls the thrower ..."

Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel Poli
NFHS Rules:

A1 has the ball OB for a sidline throw in. During the throw in, A1 has the ball on the inbounds side of the boundary plane. B1 in his attempt to dislodge the ball, fouls A1 on the arm.
I know by rule if B1 reached through the boundray plane and fouled A1, it would be an intentional personal foul. In the situation above, the foul happens on the inbound side of the boundary plane. Would you call a common foul or stay with the intentional personal?
If you have a rule # or casebook play please cite the rule .

Thanks,
Great question! Did this actually happen to you, or are you just hypothesizing?
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Right. 9-2-11, Penalty 4, "If an opponent(s) of the thrower REACHES THROUGH THE THROW-IN BOUNDARY-LINE PLANE and fouls the thrower ..."

If I read the original question right, A-1 has the ball across the plane into the playing court. That makes the ball fair game -- but not sure about the foul. Does this make sense?
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]

this rule, if for defense reaching through oob isn't it...
if the thrower puts the ball over the line inbounds, i'm with chuck it's fair game, and if the thrower is fouled on his arm that is inbounds i would go common foul on defense!
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie

[/B][/QUOTE]

this rule, if for defense reaching through oob isn't it...
if the thrower puts the ball over the line inbounds, i'm with chuck it's fair game, and if the thrower is fouled on his arm that is inbounds i would go common foul on defense! [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes -- the rule is (only) for the defense reaching through the plane. Since the defense didn't reach throught the plane, the rule doesn't apply -- it's a common foul, not an intentional personal foul.

That's why I started my statement with "Right." -- I was agreeing with Chuck and providing the reference he didn't have handy.

Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker.... the situation did not happen. The question came up while discussing the "warning" situations.

Now that I have had time to think about it, I would go w/ the common foul. Not sure what would have come out of my mouth during a game.

Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

This question appeared on last year's CBOA (CA Basketball Officials Assn) exam. The answer provided was common foul.