The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 05:25pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
My 11 year old coulda called that one.....
Reminds me of the old saying: "Stevie Wonder could of called that one ref."
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 05:32pm
In Memoriam

...The changed pivot and then the hop,
Why wouldn't the refs make him stop?
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Sure he traveled. But D1 guys ignore this call all the time. No surprise. C should have had the first one.

WTH are these guys looking at?
The D-1 guys I know are told to not micromanage travels (in other words, call the really obvious ones). So basically, they just stop looking for travels and only call them when it's obvious to everyone.

Z
Well, at least one of those travels should have been "obvious to everyone."
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

It happened to all of us before. By the time we play it back in our heads, it's obvious that he travelled. Unfortunately, he's already scored by that point and you just have to run down the court and ignore the coach yelling at you.

I don't think D1 officials ignore travelling per se. But they are told that's it better to no-call a travel than to put whistle on a non-violation.

[Edited by lrpalmer3 on Apr 27th, 2005 at 10:17 PM]
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Sure he traveled. But D1 guys ignore this call all the time. No surprise. C should have had the first one.

WTH are these guys looking at?
The D-1 guys I know are told to not micromanage travels (in other words, call the really obvious ones). So basically, they just stop looking for travels and only call them when it's obvious to everyone.

Z
That one looked pretty obvious . . .

BTW, I've noticed everyone talking about playing the videos back in slo-mo, and was wondering what sort of programs people use. I use RealPlayer and/or Windows Media Player, and can't get slow motion or frame-by-frame. Is there a good program that lets you do that, or some way to get one of those programs to slow down playback?
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
BTW, I've noticed everyone talking about playing the videos back in slo-mo, and was wondering what sort of programs people use. I use RealPlayer and/or Windows Media Player, and can't get slow motion or frame-by-frame. Is there a good program that lets you do that, or some way to get one of those programs to slow down playback?
Those programs should work, or at least Windows Media Player will. Just hit the pause button, and you can drag the slider at the bottom that moves across as you play the film, the progress bar. You can click, hold down, and drag that back and forth as slow or as fast as you want.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Those programs should work, or at least Windows Media Player will. Just hit the pause button, and you can drag the slider at the bottom that moves across as you play the film, the progress bar. You can click, hold down, and drag that back and forth as slow or as fast as you want.
Thay may work but there are better ways.

Save the video to you computer somewhere. Use WinDVD or similar to play it back. Many programs actually have true slow-motion or frame advance.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Macaroo
I saw 2 travels upon first viewing. The quick shuffle (second travel) is routinely let go in HS games; drives me crazy.
Same here, I see two travels in this play.
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, saw 2 travels at first glance...
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Just to give this some credibility I heard this from an OVC official and on top of that I talked to a SEC observer who said this guy could easily be working in the SEC if not higher.

He said that people are not there to watch officials blow the whistle and because that they only blow travels when it causes an advantage for the offense. By the kid not blowing by the defender by switching the feet or hopping by him he did not create an advantage therefore you hold the whistle. This philosophy falls under, what I am sure all of you or most of you know as the advantage/disadvantage philosophy.

This is just what I was told on the subject, not necessarily what I believe should happen.

- "Don't kill the messenger."
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 03:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Just to give this some credibility I heard this from an OVC official and on top of that I talked to a SEC observer who said this guy could easily be working in the SEC if not higher.

He said that people are not there to watch officials blow the whistle and because that they only blow travels when it causes an advantage for the offense. By the kid not blowing by the defender by switching the feet or hopping by him he did not create an advantage therefore you hold the whistle. This philosophy falls under, what I am sure all of you or most of you know as the advantage/disadvantage philosophy.

That message they gave you is ridiculous.

#1- the player gained an advantage by pivoting away from a defender while travelling.
#2- you sureashell put the defense at a definite disadvantage by not calling the very obvious travel. You took a possession away from them by ignoring the obvious violation.
#3- the advantage/disadvantage philosophy historically is applied to contact(fouls), not violations.
#4- when did the NCAA become the NBA?

Somebody is making up excuses for a missed call.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

JR let me first say I am a very nice person and always pretty calm. But when you pretty much call out a guy who first of all knows for sure what he is talking about and then a guy real close to John Guthrie (if you don't know, he is the supervisor of officials for..... wait for it..... the SEC. I'm sorry if he is just following what he was told and taught to do, but I don't know he might not be listening too well because he is just a D-1 official so he definitely must not be doing something right.

Like I said earlier I somewhat disagree with this philosophy but you don't just use advantage/disadvantage for fouls, you use it for violations as well. Yes, the kid walked but he did not gain an advantage by using another pivot foot or hopping.

Sure everbody says your doing an injustice to the game, but you got to think, how many people came to see you blow that whistle, besides maybe your parents (oh isn't that so sweet), nobody, so reduce the amount of whistles by not blowing it about 20 times less in a game by not calling something that obviously gave the player NO ADVANTAGE, and let the flow of the game continue.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 07:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
JR let me first say I am a very nice person and always pretty calm. But when you pretty much call out a guy who first of all knows for sure what he is talking about and then a guy real close to John Guthrie (if you don't know, he is the supervisor of officials for..... wait for it..... the SEC. I'm sorry if he is just following what he was told and taught to do, but I don't know he might not be listening too well because he is just a D-1 official so he definitely must not be doing something right.

Like I said earlier I somewhat disagree with this philosophy but you don't just use advantage/disadvantage for fouls, you use it for violations as well. Yes, the kid walked but he did not gain an advantage by using another pivot foot or hopping.

Sure everbody says your doing an injustice to the game, but you got to think, how many people came to see you blow that whistle, besides maybe your parents (oh isn't that so sweet), nobody, so reduce the amount of whistles by not blowing it about 20 times less in a game by not calling something that obviously gave the player NO ADVANTAGE, and let the flow of the game continue.
Did you ever think that the clip was posted for a reason? And the reason maybe was that the officials completely missed the call? And maybe somebody was trying to point that out as part of the learning process?

Who gives a damn about crap like "people not coming to see you blow that whistle". That's just the easy way outa admitting that you missed a call. Why not just sack up and admit it? They missed the damn call. There's not an official in the world that can say that that hasn't happened to them. End of story. No excuses. And saying that that no advantage was involved is a complete pile of crap too. The defense sure as hell was disadvantaged. They shoulda got the ball on a turnover and they didn't.

Sorry, but I'm awful leary of people that won't admit when they miss an obvious call- whether that person happens to be your idol or not.

Btw, I'm a nice guy too. I don't believe in bullsh*tting people though.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Did you ever think that the clip was posted for a reason? And the reason maybe was that the officials completely missed the call? And maybe somebody was trying to point that out as part of the learning process?

Who gives a damn about crap like "people not coming to see you blow that whistle". That's just the easy way outa admitting that you missed a call. Why not just sack up and admit it? They missed the damn call. There's not an official in the world that can say that that hasn't happened to them. End of story. No excuses. And saying that that no advantage was involved is a complete pile of crap too. The defense sure as hell was disadvantaged. They shoulda got the ball on a turnover and they didn't.

Sorry, but I'm awful leary of people that won't admit when they miss an obvious call- whether that person happens to be your idol or not.

Btw, I'm a nice guy too. I don't believe in bullsh*tting people though.
Yeah but do you personally know the supervisor of officials for..... wait for it..... the SEC?

Old Tue May 10, 2005, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

JR I don't know about the guys you work with but I gurantee you if officials in the SEC botch a call they are going to tell you later on that they missed it. This guy that I talked to in a private would tell me if he missed a call but when we talked about the issue of traveling no certain play was discussed he was just talking about what he was taught and I guarantee when I go to IIOC camp this summer I will be learning from the best of the best and they will teach me the same thing I am trying to tell you.

Much love. Maybe one day we will get to work together and in our pre-game we would have to decide how to apply this or not, either way we would have to be on the same page to be consistent.