The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Rugby

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

"This is Not Soccer"

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 10:28pm
AremRed

The man is a machine.

Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 03:54pm
Archaic Power Monger

The Texas saying of "One Riot, One Ranger" certainly applies to Rugby as well.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I take it that in the clip first posted, the problem was at :09, where the player was distracting the ref by indicating that a certain player was tying up the ball. We don't know whether that player had been a PITA previously during that game by doing similarly.

Do you really like that style of refereeing? Does the talking-to not say to that player and the world, "I'm letting this guy get in my head."?
Old Sat May 24, 2014, 02:24am
AremRed

New video:

Old Sat May 24, 2014, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I take it that in the clip first posted, the problem was at :09, where the player was distracting the ref by indicating that a certain player was tying up the ball. We don't know whether that player had been a PITA previously during that game by doing similarly.

Do you really like that style of refereeing? Does the talking-to not say to that player and the world, "I'm letting this guy get in my head."?
Speaking as an official from another sport, if I was the lone guy in the middle of those behemoths, I'd wanna establish alpha male credibility ASAP

Although the complete lack of any kind of reaction from the player after being dressed down like that is astounding. No player in a north american sport would 'take' that without something else to say.
Old Wed May 28, 2014, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefWEB View Post
Speaking as an official from another sport, if I was the lone guy in the middle of those behemoths, I'd wanna establish alpha male credibility ASAP
What the players respect is not alpha male credibility, but just plain credibiity. I've never seen a rugby ref intimidated or looking like he needed to be intimidated except insofar as he wasn't sure of himself. If you were indeed an official from another sport perceived as a newbie reffing a rugby match, you might be in that situation.