The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Lacrosse
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

What is a shot

Hi;
I've just gotten back into lax refereeing - boys level, and I have some issues requiring clarification. Excuse me if this sounds naive.
What is a "shot"? Simply put this would be a throwing of the ball in the direction of the goal. Naturally, the intent of the thrower could be to pass the ball to another player, but if the ball travels near the goal it could as well be defined as a shot. A shot is a judgement call, I would say. It is subjective.
When does a shot begin? I would say - when the ball leaves the crosse.
But when does the shot end? If the ball bounces on the ground, yet still travels towards the goal, then it must still be a shot. If the ball is deflected off the helmet of another player, is it still as shot? If the ball hits the crossbar of the goal, is it still a shot? If the ball subsequently, hits the ground in the crease, bounces off another player's foot, then enters the goal, is it still a shot? Does a shot end when there is no longer any forward motion? Does the shot end when the ball is dead - i.e. stops moving?

Can anyone offer any help here?

I need to know for 2 reasons.
1) determining the restart when the ball goes out of bounds. Did it go out on a shot or a pass?
2) ending a slow whistle. If the ball touches the ground, the slow whistle ends except if it is a shot. On a slow whistle, if the ball touchs the ground on a shot, the ball can bounce back up, be grabbed by a crosse, passed to another player who shoots, and that shot can include the ball touching the ground once maybe twice, then be grabbed by another player crosse, passed, etc. and the slow whistle would still remain in effect???
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes the best judge of a shot (whether or not it is one) is your partner, I know we talk alot on the feild and if I'm T, I am yelling on a shot so my partner knows before the ball reaches the endline.
The shot does continue on a bounce if its aimed at the goal, I've never had a problem in this area, maybe my Basketball experience with patient whistles helps, but if the ball hits the goal post or goes out side the crease after striking a leg or foot and I have a "play on" I will sound the whistle then. But a slow whistle my be irrelevant if the play continues in favor of the offended team. By the way, welcome back!
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerthialfad View Post
2) ending a slow whistle. If the ball touches the ground, the slow whistle ends except if it is a shot. On a slow whistle, if the ball touchs the ground on a shot, the ball can bounce back up, be grabbed by a crosse, passed to another player who shoots, and that shot can include the ball touching the ground once maybe twice, then be grabbed by another player crosse, passed, etc. and the slow whistle would still remain in effect???
Under NFHS rules, a slow whistle ends when the ball touches the ground (not on a shot) or if a shot is taken that does not result in a goal. If a shot is taken, it bounces, and it caught, the slow whistle is over in NFHS. NCAA has different rules and play would continue.

In any case, a thrown ball is a shot if the officials say it is. Otherwise it isn't. It's not always easy to tell, especially if there's a guy there he could have been passing to.